• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TrXus Mud Terrains, any good?

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
need some rock crawling/occasional mud tires. will see street like freeway driving to the OHV park, other then that it won't be daily driven probably but it should be able to and these tires seem great. what i need is a irok-similar pattern but iroks dont coem in 35x12.50 so my question is do the TrXus m/t's perform well on rocks? the sidewall looks promising if it was aired down..

trexus_mud_terrain-600.jpg

I know a few people who have them and really love them.

Ironically (for a mud terrain), those I trust feel they dont do well when its wet.

No, I mean wet pavement. We don't really have mud in socal.

mt/r's are probably the best general use tire out there, but they really really really suck in the mud. ;)

I have had them for a year. Really like them, but they are difficult to balance. I have weights all around which get knocked off everytime I take it out on rocks aired down....suppose you could do BBs...

TSL's are scary in the rain on slick well worn pavement...and they flat spot real bad when they sit, especially in cold weather....but they are the schizit in mud. When I went shopping for tires for the MJ, the local shops would not sell me Truxs MT's because of the difficulty of balancing them and appearantly they have had some problems with out of round....not a real problem if you have them trued...but Florida recently outlawed truing tires...I got Pro Comp Xtreme MT's....pricey but they work real good...not as good in mud as TSL's but they have excellent road manners and good wet weather traction...and are wearing very well.

Last edited:
cal said:
mt/r's are probably the best general use tire out there, but they really really really suck in the mud. ;)

I disagree. MTRs are decent in the mud, as good as most standard MT tires. Mine have pulled through muddy trails with no more wheelspin than other mudders I've run, less Swampers.

fubar XJ said:
I disagree. MTRs are decent in the mud, as good as most standard MT tires. Mine have pulled through muddy trails with no more wheelspin than other mudders I've run, less Swampers.

I've run the same muddy trails with BFG MT's, BFG AT's, Truxus MT's and MT/R's in the same season. MT/R's were a class behind.

They are excellent everywhere else, and are the only thing I run on a trail rig.

Iroc's in 36 will be closer to 35" but the bias will be Hell on the road, and who the hell buy's Iroc Radials :D

My bro runs the trxus on his YJ in the 33x12.50 flavor. He loves them they have seemed to wear well and gri ppretty good offroad. They do have some siping and they run true to size. They are a very heavy tire which is why there are some balancing issues

I ran the 33x12.5 ones for a year and a half, IMO they're a terrific all-around tire. I was most impressed with them on a snow run...I was walking up stuff that had others sliding all over. Never did any 'mud bogging' with 'em, but they held up well on rocks (never had one pop). I was DD'ing the rig about 500 miles a week at the time and they had great road manners as well. Before I sold them, I was figuring on about 45,000 miles out of the set.

I'm running 31"s Trxus and I like them a lot. Not too noisy on the street and with great traction on rocks and in mud.
A guy from my local club runs the 35's and like them a lot too.
They are fine on wet pavement when new, but with wear they become slippery.
Have them balanced every 2-3000 miles or you will end up with them being worn pretty fast.

cal said:
I've run the same muddy trails with BFG MT's, BFG AT's, Truxus MT's and MT/R's in the same season. MT/R's were a class behind.

They are excellent everywhere else, and are the only thing I run on a trail rig.

That's the standard of thinking I've heard as well. IMO, they pulled as well as the old-school BFG MT's I ran years ago, and I may eventually come to the same conclusion you did as well. But for the time I've been running them, they're very comparable to other MTs. I didn't expect Swamper-like performance, but they performed better than my expectations.

I’ve also been looking at these tires. I’m glad that there have been good reviews. Now if some people could stick to the thread, because the title is asking about TrXas M/T not every other tire.

surf2snow said:
Now if some people could stick to the thread, because the title is asking about TrXas M/T not every other tire.

You can't give a good review of a tire someone has not run, without comparing it to other tires. I can tell you that the Truxus MT's do great on the trails that I wheel on - but without having wheeled the trails yourself, that doesnt actually mean anything, until I tell you they do better than BFG AT's, similar to BFG MT's but flat less, outrank MT/R's in the mud and wear really well.

Not to mention having 34" as an option is always spiffy.

However, excluding the mud, MT/R's still last longer, flat less and hook up better. I'd call the Truxus MT a strong second choice for tires, IMHO.

Back