• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing the XJ

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/c-HT02/p-7514.html

That is the same one that both Alan and I have Tony. That is a good price if shipping does not gouge you.

You just need to make sure that your stock bumper is gusseted to the frame and not just relying on the bumper as a mount. Any tow bar will tear the bumper like paper.

The only thing that I did was change the hardware to grade 8.

Dennis

Leep said:
http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/c-HT02/p-7514.html

That is the same one that both Alan and I have Tony. That is a good price if shipping does not gouge you.

You just need to make sure that your stock bumper is gusseted to the frame and not just relying on the bumper as a mount. Any tow bar will tear the bumper like paper.

The only thing that I did was change the hardware to grade 8.

Dennis

How did you gusset Dennis?

saki669 said:
Yes. Tranny in Park. Transfer case in N. Key in vehicle and steering "unlocked".

You used to flat tow with the Lbby right? Any issues at all? Anything special needed to be done?

tcm glx said:
You used to flat tow with the Lbby right? Any issues at all? Anything special needed to be done?

Just had to take the damn spare off the Liberty every time I wanted to tow anything. It got in the way of the hitch. No problems with the Grand Cherokee.

The only special thing is you need a reverse drop hitch to bring the tow bar level. I use about a 7" drop hitch mounted upside down with my XJ at ~5.5"

Where will you mount the tow bar points on your XJ?

saki669 said:
Just had to take the damn spare off the Liberty every time I wanted to tow anything. It got in the way of the hitch. No problems with the Grand Cherokee.

The only special thing is you need a reverse drop hitch to bring the tow bar level. I use about a 7" drop hitch mounted upside down with my XJ at ~5.5"

Where will you mount the tow bar points on your XJ?

Dont know yet, any recomendations?

tcm glx said:

When I had my stock bumper I mounted it right in the middle of the stock mounts with a back plate sandwiched to the bumper with frame mounts to the factory holes on the frame.

Worked well as the bumper was just hiding all my shitty fab and gussets...

tcm glx said:

I had a front hitch, so I drilled it and mounted the tow points there. It worked great until I got the aftermarket bumper, then I had to move the tow points to the front of the bumper because the bumper prevented the tow bar from articulating properly. I actually slotted the tow bar ends to fit them on the D-Ring points of the front bumper. If this confuses you I can take a pic, or you are welcome to drop by and check it out.

front_hitch.jpg

The front hitch also allowed me to do this:

tds_wall.jpg

Kejtar said:
Got lockers? If so take those into account when planning to flat tow.
Characteristics? Locked? Spooled?

saki669 said:
I had a front hitch, so I drilled it and mounted the tow points there. It worked great until I got the aftermarket bumper, then I had to move the tow points to the front of the bumper because the bumper prevented the tow bar from articulating properly. I actually slotted the tow bar ends to fit them on the D-Ring points of the front bumper. If this confuses you I can take a pic, or you are welcome to drop by and check it out.

front_hitch.jpg

The front hitch also allowed me to do this:

tds_wall.jpg

SICK SICK SICK!!

Paulhead,

My Xj is a 1992, automatic, AW4 with a 231, with a posi in the rear, and open in the front.

tcm glx said:
SICK SICK SICK!!

Paulhead,

My Xj is a 1992, automatic, AW4 with a 231, with a posi in the rear, and open in the front.

I have a Detroit in the rear and a Tru-Trac in the front. I have no issues flat towing. The XJ follows along happily. Even in the dirt over big bumps, washes, whoops... it's fine.

Back