• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Roof Rack

tuesdaysfall said:
ahhh...i say you guys just get one of hellbillys, that thing looks bad ass!

I agree.. but that thing must weight a ton. I would like to know how much that thing does weigh.

I bought a basket very similar to the Black widow one from Proline. http://www.prolineracks.com/car-rack-special.html
They look very similar. It's a bit on the flimsy side. I bought the extensions and it required some beefing up to keep it from flexing. (I just used some 90 galvanized channel and bolted it on the sides with small u-bolts). The bottom does look like it starting to sag a bit. That being said, it has held up OK. I use it for camping, and even had my spare tire, high-lift and shovel mounted on it before I built my bumper. As you can see in the pic, I was using 3 Yakima cross bars which made the set up pretty solid.

loaded.jpg

Moab051.jpg

does anybody know what diameter the tubing on this rack is? I am looking for a basket and want something that i will be able to mount all of my Yakima hardware to. Yakima uses a 1" diameter bar.

Can't be any worse than the Surco.

I have the Surco, but haven't loaded it up yet or even driven the Jeep with it installed. I did get the "floor" kit which provides an extra cross bar and I installed the spare tire mount.

That said, how bad is the Surco and what am I in for by using this rack?

Back