• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep just shut off a while ago while i was drving down the road, so i pulled it over and started lookin at stuff and i figured that i was not getting any spark out of the coil. So i replaced the coil.... nothing, next i tried the cps, still nothing. The i tested for continuity from the plug that goes into the coil all the way back to the ecu, and i had continuity so next i replaced the cu, and still nothing. What else could it be, its nothing with the sidtributor because im not even getting signal to it, anyone have any suggestions. TIA

scott

Same thing happened to me. '96, 4.0, ax-15. The harness for the rear o2 sensor fell on the driveshaft and the outer coat of the 4 wires rubbed through. I spliced the wires, but still no start.

Then I checked fuses. There is a mini fuse in the PDC under the hood, not under the dash. It looks like a 30amp IIRC. There's a few big 60 ampers under there, but look for the tiny green one. That got popped. I replaced it, and was good to go.

Steve

Check the grounds, One of them maybe came loose and fell off or somehow broke off.
Check the ones that bolt to the rear passenger side of the block.

you didn't mention if you have a auto or manual... I have a AW4 automatic tranny and the neutral safety switch can go out from time to time. Try starting the rig in neutral and see what happens. if it starts fine, id take the switch apart clean it and put it back on the rig... don't break the switch a replacement costs around 300 bucks! Here are some instructions:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/

When you take the switch off, hit it a few times with some PB Blaster to loosen and rust, dirt, or grease that may be on the switch which will inhibit it from coming off. you might want a 2" by 2" block of wood handy for prying the old one off as well. don't pry against the plastic, it will break it! USE THE BOLT!!

that is if you have an automatic transmission and the rig WILL start in neutral but not in park. This will also affect the reverse lights if the reverse lights don't work, this will fix them if it is the problem.

Good luck,
Bradley
Dumfries, VA

i guess ill start checking grounds, i have a manual tranny so its not the nss, i dont think that would cause it to shut off anyways. If it was the igntion switch it woulndt even turn over then. Any other ideas

Get one of these gismos, or a multi-meter and check every fuse...under the dash, and under the hood. Try to rule out something simple, and it takes five minutes, and you don't have to pull any fuses. You just touch the terminals of the fuse while it's still in the block. The checker adjusts to any size fuse. Fast, simple.

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images//img/bus/43.jpg

found it!!!! early when i took the cap off i failed to see the broken peices of the stator in the bottom, so im just gonna replace the whole distributor due to a leaking seal on the bottom of it though. Thanks for all the advice

Back