• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a Transfercase

There are six nuts that hold it on. There are studs in the transfer case with nuts toward the front. Somewhat tight area but not that bad. I have a set of very short Craftsman wrenches that helped. Is the 242 a 21 or 23 spline? There is a difference in some cases. Depends on 4 cyl or 6cyl.

input.jpg

Last edited:
go to sears and get a stuby 9/16 ratchet wrench, makes life a whole lot easier, i used a regular wrench to break the nuts loose and the rachet wrench to remove em, also unbolt the tranny xmember and lower the trans down couple inches to get easier acsess to the top bolts(just make sure not to pinch anything and watch the frt fan so it wont hit the radiator)

When i did mine i used an air rachet with extenstions and angle peices. Took me just over an hour to swap the whole thing, you need to drop the cross member and tranny mount to get to the bottom bolt so you might want to consider replacing it while you have it apart.

Back