• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeak from engine compartment....i searched plz help.

fishboots

NAXJA Forum User
Ohhh kayyy...89 xj wagoneer
I had a belt squeal that got progressively worse, after searching I determined that the belt was the most likely the culprit. The idler pulley and the water pump pully didnt look to good so I replaced them at the same time with mopar parts. This solved the problem for about 6 hours. After 6 hrs it began to chirp. I figured the belt was loosening, and after checking with the small but mighty Krikit 2, I determined this to be the case. So i tightend to the required 150lbs, and now the sound is worse, bordering on unbearable.
Any help appreciated.
Also a few drops of h2o on the ps pulley stops it for a sec or 2.
Thanks,
Ron

I had the same thing happen when I changed my belt about a year ago...When the squeak cane back after driving a few times, I checked the tension and it was at 150lbs...so I cranked it up to 160lbs and all is well...no more squeak.

The bar soap worked...If it returns I will adjust the tension to 160...
Is the soap masking an underlying problem?
Thanks guys, I was going to rplace the H20 pump this afternoon.
Ron

My 90' does the same thing, get some of the clear silicon tire dressing and put a drop or 2 both on the smooth side of the belt and the ribbed side. I do it while its running just be careful. It will stay quiet untill it rains again then you will have to treat it again. Mine does not do this in the summer, only in the winter and on cold days.

Well the soap wore of after about 20 mins, so tightend to 160, no change 170 nada, 180 all good.
Thanks again naxja!
I still think I have a little too much play in my WP, that is a project for another day, as it just started raining.
I am in south florida, land of perpetual summer, so temps are not a factor. I will keep the tire dressing in mind though.

fishboots said:
I am in south florida, land of perpetual summer, so temps are not a factor. I will keep the tire dressing in mind though.

Way to rub it in! Its 25 degrees with 20 mph gusts here, wind chill in the upper teens.....and Im working outside on a distributer issue!

ouch trailrider. but yea i feel the cold here too. was workin on fuel rail prob in 35 degree weather with some nasty wind kickin here.

my 89 limited has been squeekin for 3 months now, i'll do the belts when it snaps lol. no realy when i can do them when its "kinda" warmer i'll look at them better. too darn cold now.

Back