• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S&W racecars cage for the Cherokee

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone seen one of these? ANy pictures of what it coes with, and how fitment is? At 399 - 10% for a DOM prebent and notched cage ready for weld in, in a 10pt style, seems hard to justify buying tube and cord. delivery and then setting up the bender and then measuring and bending and cutting and notching?

Mark Smith said:
Is it just me or have they removed the link to the XJ cage?

Well its easy to find if you "search" for just Jeep in the search function, and then tell it what you want it in.. DOM Chromo HREW and how many attachment points 8 or 10...

I don't know much about the different types of tubing, but what would the one that isn't DOM or moly be? It's considerably cheaper yet has thicker tubes.

its just Hot Rolled Electrostaticly Welded (HREW) mild steel

It's cheaper because the tubing costs less. It's thicker due to it having thin spots and they need to run a thicker wall to make up for it. I only run DOM, for the money its not worth it in my opinion. Kinda like "cheap heads go in cheap helmets".

The DOM vs. other types of tubing has been beat to death a million times. Search pirate4x4 for Chass's flop (in the toyota section). He intentionally flopped his yota with a "poop pipe" exo cage and suffered no damage. Design and triangulation is more important than type of tubing.

Well mine in on its way as I type. Its showing a 22nd delivery. Total 4 packages (explains the 100$ shipping I guess). Total wieght is only 155lbs give or take a few. Which means at a aprox 2.1lbs per foot, thats only like 70-75ft of tube. not very much tube. But at 4$ per foot in DOM under 100ft pricing. That tubing alone would cost me just about the same as it was to get thier cage with shipping.

I will take some detailed pictures, If my camera plays nice when I need it to. I called and asked yesterday if the rear drs on a 4dr will still be accessable and usable for back seat pass. The guy pulled up the computer spool sheets and said that the rear horiz bars go 44" back from the main hoop then turn down. SO if thats correct then it should be fine.

I anticipate about another 20' of interior tube to add to it. But since this was done on a CNC bender and notcher, by a very nice shop that builds chassis and cages for a crap load of people, I can only hope I am not disappointed. And that my money was spent wisely. They did say that they would work with me with any fitment issues. SO when the windshield verticals dont fit (or what ever) to my liking I will be calling them.

i just hung up with them. $324 to my door for the 10 pt cage. Hope its worth it.

dude dont order it yet.. Unless yoru ok with shooting in the dark? Wait till tue when I get mine and let me give ya some feedback maybe? Hate to let two of us take it for the team when I already comitted...

Oops. Well my dads fabricator (who builds hot rods from scratch for fun) said he would weld it in no problem. Im sure if theres any fitment issues, he will take care of it. Im gonna go pick up 2 more 20 ft sticks to add triangulation.

I ran an S&W cage in my bracket car back in the day and I was happy with it. I never rolled it so I don't know how it would have held up. From a fitment standpoint, other than having to fishmouth the tubes and trim a little here and there, it was smooth sailing.
I'm local so I just picked it up myself, no shipping. I did have to pay tax though.

stoneattic said:
I ran an S&W cage in my bracket car back in the day and I was happy with it. I never rolled it so I don't know how it would have held up. From a fitment standpoint, other than having to fishmouth the tubes and trim a little here and there, it was smooth sailing.
I'm local so I just picked it up myself, no shipping. I did have to pay tax though.

ummm you had to notch the tubes? They told me "Ready to weld in". I hope they come notched. Thats some of the work right there that I didnt want to mess with.. Oh well if I have to, then I have to I guess...

Yeah that would suck if theyre not notched. I was surveying the fab tools back there and thats the one tool I dont have at my disposal....a notcher. I guess the notcher attachment for a drill press isnt that expensive but its alot of work i would imagine.

olivedrabcj7 said:
Yeah that would suck if theyre not notched. I was surveying the fab tools back there and thats the one tool I dont have at my disposal....a notcher. I guess the notcher attachment for a drill press isnt that expensive but its alot of work i would imagine.

Its a pain in the ass, hard to translate the right angle to the tube, and you cant always do every angle, many times you have to resort to the grinder.

However the professional notcher that makes this childs play costs over $1k and uses a large cylindrical rasp rather than a hole saw.

Phantom said:
Its a pain in the ass, hard to translate the right angle to the tube, and you cant always do every angle, many times you have to resort to the grinder.

However the professional notcher that makes this childs play costs over $1k and uses a large cylindrical rasp rather than a hole saw.

I dont think anything more then the 50$ harbor frieght notcher is necc. I have built 2 CJ cages and 2 XJ cages with one being a good amount of work (Jeep speed), all of which I have only used One hole saw and notcher for. It prolly could use a new hole saw bit though by now. But literally 100-150 notches in 1.75" x .120 DOM, and still very usable. I did the stand alone one and mounted it to a super cheap foldable saw horse.

ROBERTK said:
ummm you had to notch the tubes? They told me "Ready to weld in". I hope they come notched. Thats some of the work right there that I didnt want to mess with.. Oh well if I have to, then I have to I guess...

Yeah, I had to notch the tubes. This was a while back, maybe 12-13 years, so maybe they do notch them now. I would think it would be safer not to notch them since every XJ is a "little" different. It sure would suck if some tubes were a hair short. I know when I did mine they were all too long. I figured that was to leave some wiggle room. It's no big deal to notch them on a grinder. Mine came out real nice. This was on a Dodge Challenger, not an XJ.

Back