• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a replacement 5sd

Goldminer

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1988 XJ with the pueget 5sp (I think thats the spelling), I will be looking at changing it out in the future. What will swap in with limited modifications.
Goldminer.

AXi5 is almost a complete bolt in. You need a different pilot bearing. Other have done it and I am sure someone on here will have the exact info you will need for that. HTH

Use the pilot bearing for a 1973 CJ-5 with V-8. It will stick out of the back of the crank just a little bit, but it has the correct inner and outer diameters for this swap. We did this about 3 months ago on a '88 model that blew the puke-goat out. Also, be ready to replace the input gear, maybe just the whole transfercase, as it is damn near impossible to find the early AX-15 with the 21 spline input. The majority of them are the 23 spline, later model input shafts. The slave cylinder from the Puke-goat will work, as will the pressure plate, but the clutch disc is a differenet spline count, hence the different pilot bearing. Also, try to get the X-case shifter linkage that bolts to the side of the AX, otherewise, be ready to do a little mod/fab. work to get the shifter function correctly.

Thanks guys for the response. Gives me a direction to start. Now the hard part finding an AX15. The one I have now works just fine but I understand they are a weak, weak transmission.
Goldminer.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388

There's pretty much everything you'll need to know to install an AX-15 - including quirks of the job (I ran into a couple myself, and documented them.)

You can also use an NV3550 from a TJ - or get the bellhousing from an external AX-15 behind a 4.0, and use any other NV3550. However, the transfer case will be clocked differently - so you'll also need an adapter (to re-clock the housing a bit lower,) or to massage the transmission tunnel (to make room for the thing.)

Those two swaps are probably the easiest - but I've heard of others that got more involved (like MistWolf putting the NV4500 in his XJ...)

Back