• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i get away with no sye?

92jeepxjOR

NAXJA Forum User
I actuly have a couple of questions,first I'm planing on buying a 6.5 in rough country lift,is that a decent quality kit and second I am wondering if I can get away without doing a sye on my 242 I'm planing on runing 33 12.5s please help

only if you have some real heavy bumpers that sag you to about 4.5"

I was able to run 5" of lift using a YJ slip yoke, redrilled the spring perch to move the axle forward 3/4", used a 1/2" transfer case drop and a 1/2" longer pinion yoke. The driveshaft angles have to be perfect.

Any higher then 5" on a 95 or older XJ a SYE is a must. About 4" is about the max unless you set it up perfect.

At 5" of lift the front axle needed 2 degree offset ball joints to keep some caster and have a decent pinion angle.

33x12.5-15's will fit with 4.5" of lift and will save you from having to deal with a bunch of details to get it to drive decent and vibration free.

My Jeep has a 242 case and I love it.

92jeepxjOR said:
I actuly have a couple of questions,first I'm planing on buying a 6.5 in rough country lift,is that a decent quality kit and second I am wondering if I can get away without doing a sye on my 242 I'm planing on runing 33 12.5s please help

The short answer:

NO

I would think the max lift would be in the 4 inch range with no SYE.

This is great info. I show up tonight and I get the answer to my question on the front page without having to ask it.

My wife want's a little altitude/attitude with her XJ. She says she feels a little too "Soccer Mom" in her stock XJ with the car seat in it.

I don't want to spend much $ on the lift, as this poor XJ is her dd and will most likely be condemned to never see much other than dirt roads. So I'm thinking of 33s.

Why go to 33s then? Well, I've got a set of 33x10.50 BFG ATs that I am currently running on my LJ that I'd like to move from my 33s to 35s. I didn't want to do a SYE if I didn't have to.

sylvanis said:
This is great info. I show up tonight and I get the answer to my question on the front page without having to ask it.

My wife want's a little altitude/attitude with her XJ. She says she feels a little too "Soccer Mom" in her stock XJ with the car seat in it.

I don't want to spend much $ on the lift, as this poor XJ is her dd and will most likely be condemned to never see much other than dirt roads. So I'm thinking of 33s.

Why go to 33s then? Well, I've got a set of 33x10.50 BFG ATs that I am currently running on my LJ that I'd like to move from my 33s to 35s. I didn't want to do a SYE if I didn't have to.

Going with 33"s you should do gear change or it is going to be a real dog. My Soccer Mom's Jeep looks great with 2" lift and 30's.[ With stock 3:55 gears.]

jeepster09 said:
Going with 33"s you should do gear change or it is going to be a real dog. My Soccer Mom's Jeep looks great with 2" lift and 30's.[ With stock 3:55 gears.]

yeah, i'm sucking up the 33s on my 3.73 on my LJ. Moving to 35s I figure I'd have to regear the LJ. I never thought about regearing her ride. uggh.... any way I look at it, it's more and more $. And for her rig that never hits the trails.....maybe it will have to be a dream unrealized.

Thanks for another set of brains.

92jeepxjOR - sorry for the thread jacking.

I believe it was Opie that first said it.

"If you're asking if you might need a SYE,........you need a SYE."

Hale

I have the 6.5 R C on my 89 xj, i had too do a t-case drop.. With the 242 t-case you will need a hack an tap, something like that...You can also use sims on the rear... YES i like my lift, was a little ruff at first, but now it is great...

89 xj
6.5 , 33.1250

forget the 33's.
3" and 31x10.5 with no vibes, FTW! and it looks a heck of a lot better than the squirrely, squatty, little grocery getter's that are around where she'll be.
:paperwork

sylvanis said:

My DD '94 XJ runs 33x10.5x15 on 15x7 rims with 4" of backspacing. It has 3" of lift. It's just new coils and add-a-leafs. I run 2" of front & rear bumpstops with relocated shock mounts. It has a YJ slip yoke, relocated front brake hoses and a braided rear brake hose. It has a 242 t-case in it and I replaced the control arm bushings with Moog problem solver bushings. I have 65,000 miles on the lift. The fenders are cut some but not very much at all.

jeepster09 said:

Mine runs the 33x10.5-15's with stock 3.55 gears. It's not a real dog at all. 4.10 gears would be perfect, but right now I can still out run a Renix 4.0 on stock tires. I still get 17mpg for everyday driving and get 20mpg at 70mph on trips.

Boring the step out of the throttle body eliminates the trans needing to downshift on hills to maintain speed. In 2wd it will spin the tire from a dead stop most of the time. I use fulltime 4wd for 98% of the time.

33's, 4.10's and an AW4 suck balls.
I hate it and do not recomend it to anyone. Very under geared.

Hale

Haleyes said:
33's, 4.10's and an AW4 suck balls.
I hate it and do not recomend it to anyone. Very under geared.

Hale

12.50's are worse then 10.50's are performance wise.

4.10 gears and 33's have about the same amount of overall gear that they have with 3.55 gears and stock tires. Maybe your rig is down on power. Mine does ok with the stock gears but it's going to re retired soon anyway.

Boring the taper out of the thottle body makes a huge difference with the AW-4.

The replacement MJ will have 35's and 5.13 gears.

I have a 6" lift 35" BFGs and no SYE. I am shimmed 6 degrees to make up for the 6 degrees I got from the drop shackles. I have a Dana 44/NP231 with a YJ yoke and I have zero vibration even at 70/75 mph. My drive shaft has been lengthened a bit. 8.25 are real bad for vibes, Dana's handle angles better. 4:56 are perfect for 35s if you use it for a DD.

i run a 92 xj with 7-8 inches of lift and no sye.
I did a 1 1/4 inch t case drop to keep the ears of the yoke from binding, and I do have some vibes but nothing major. I run 33 boggers on stock gears that I want to swap to 4.88 soon. I have heard that the drive shaft on an auto is about 1 1/2 inches longer than the standard shaft, but the splines are still engaged 2 1/2 inches on the output shaft of the t case. I had a leaky output seal and i had some axle wrap wheeling the other day and it made the seal drip oil. I want to get an sye, but as it would be better, it's not totally neccesary. A front drive shaft with a double cardan joint on an xj can be lengthened to work with an sye kit as i have seen on the xota project on this web site.
There is so much info on this site and links to others with even more.
It has definately influence my build.

I did a 1 1/4 inch t case drop to keep the ears of the yoke from binding

did you really drop your transfer case that much?

I had a leaky output seal

this might have to do with you dropping your t-case so much... it's never a good idea for the seals, or motor mounts... or anything for that matter (n)

I don't get vibes with 4.5" and 32's
for 33's and 4 or 5 inches, it looks to me like trimming or flares have to happen. I had to trim both front and rear stock flares just to clear 33 11.5's.
I have a SYE in the garage, but no vibes. better safe than sorry is my take on it.

get a rear driveline from a manual they are about 2-3 inches longer my xj with 5" on 33 it was a little to long with 6.5 it will probaly work for you not only is it cheaper it 100 times easier than a sye. good luck

Last edited:
Auto top manual bottom

P1010002.jpg

Back