• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She's ALIVE!!! Woo hooooo! (56k bad...pics inside!)

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
After 9 days of cussing, wrenching, bleeding and brooding...I finally got a chance to finish up the Jeep and take him for a test drive!
:party:

I contracted my girlfriend to help me today...she trimmed the fenders while I chased down other issues (replaced front calipers, bled brakes, installed H4 lights, etc), and stopped on occasion to help my buddy who was disassembling a VR6 engine in my garage (gratuitous Corrado pic below).

I took Big Red around the block for a quick shakedown run, and I didn't hear anything that sounded too bad. I get a little squeak and clunk here and there (compared to stock...I'm sure half of you guys wouldn't even consider them noises they were so quiet, but I'm paranoid!). Xfer case seemed to shift just fine. No issues from the new drievshafts.

I've heard people say the RE lift rides just like stock. I'd have to disagree, unless you had pogo sticks for control arms from the factory. lol! It's most certainly stiffer, but not that bad. Basically, it rides more like a "truck", whereas in stock form it's more like a "station wagon" in the suspension department.

My steering wheel is WAY off center...it faces 90 degrees to the right when driving straight. So I'll have to figure out what's up with that. Track bar? I didn't touch the steering linkage or the pittman arm at all, so what else could that be?

The AutoPal lights are worth their weight in gold! I had wagner "Brite Lites" sealed beams in there before. I can wait a while to add my auxiliary lighting because these AutoPals are so much brighter. At 50 bucks shipped, these get more light per dollar than any of the off road light offerings. Can't go wrong with these!

It's also markedly sluggish off the line to get those 33's going. It's not horrible, but it's definitely lost some of it's "nip" off the line. No worries, I don't stoplight race too much in the Jeep; that's what my Volvo is for. :) Gears are high on my list for the next round of toys.

I still have a few things to button up...fix the steering, change the diff oil, touch up the chipped paint from hammering the fender wells, rpelace the front skid plate, and maybe remove the front sway bar.

But for the time being...Big Red's officially off the jackstands!

And now, some pictars for your viewing pleasure:

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07042.jpg

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07023.jpg

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07024.jpg

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07004.jpg

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07010.jpg

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07007.jpg

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07021.jpg

JeepLiftKitInstall12-31-07022.jpg

A big, fat :smootch: :cheers::worship: to:

Robert, Johnny, Mike, Max and John for all your help! I will be seeing you on the trails shortly! :wave:

xL8 APEKSx said:
My steering wheel is WAY off center...it faces 90 degrees to the right when driving straight. So I'll have to figure out what's up with that. Track bar? I didn't touch the steering linkage or the pittman arm at all, so what else could that be?
Look at the way the linkage is set up and think about what happens to the linkage when you lift the vehicle in relation to it. Got a mental picture of the shift? Great, now adjust your drag link and tie rod as needed :D (as in to center the wheel and to make sure your tires are still aligned correctly)

Dude, give me a ring and I can swing by tomorrow (in between installing motor in my XJ) and help you with that.....or bring it by and I can show you quick.

13535 Robyn Ct
Garden Grove

On a side note......I have a few of those random 4cyl. blocks laying around my garage too. haha

Kejtar said:
Look at the way the linkage is set up and think about what happens to the linkage when you lift the vehicle in relation to it. Got a mental picture of the shift? Great, now adjust your drag link and tie rod as needed :D (as in to center the wheel and to make sure your tires are still aligned correctly)

This is due to the "Y" shape of the stock steering. When the axle goes down (due to the lift and drrop) it takes the top of the drag link and raises it. This causes the passenger side tire to be pulled in towards the center of the jeep because it is a fixed length. When the drag link goes up it also sucks the front tires together (causes toe in) because the tie rod is attached to the drag link, not directly to the knuckle. So then when you put it back on the ground the stering wheel will be off center due to the drag link length.

So what you need to do is lift the front tires just about an inch off the ground and loosen the drag link and make it a little longer. Then turn the key on, center the steering wheel and then turn the key off to lock the steering wheel in place. Now finish lengthening the drag link until the passenger side tire is just about straight(toed in a little). Next adjust the tie rod so that the driver side tire is almost straight(also toed in a little). Hand tighten the bolts and let the jeep on the ground. Roll it back and forth a couple of times and check your alignment. Then jack it back up and adjust the tie rod the amount that it is off. (note, the tires will not be perfectly straight when it is off the ground due to the droop of the suspension. Keep adjusting and checking until you are satisfied.

(To others: If I am off on anything I said please let me know, I am just passing on what I think I know)

Good luck and call if you have any questions. (714-222-7402)

Hammered said:
yeah you'll need an adj. Track bar... I had the same issue... its a fairly easy fix.
Trackbar affects the position of the body in relation to the axle. How will putting an adjustable one on his jeep fix his misaligned steering wheel issue?

Anthony's_98_XJ said:
wut a kickass girlfriend :D
Haha...yeah. Usually. :gag:

Also, I found that shock boots make GREAT doggy chew toys!

Just had it on the freeway...no wobble, no vibes. :spin1:

Another interesting factoid...my Volvo sedan came from the factory with 4.10's and a rear locker. My Jeep? Open diffs and 3.55's. wtf?!?! haha!

Last edited:
Sweet Sean. Looks good. I can give you a hand on the alignment tomorrow morning if you want. I need to go down to MJR's place to help him with a furnace install, so I can stop by your place first. I can also pick up the leaf packs if you're around. Let me know.

Sure thing...I should be up by 9 or so. Gimme a call if you want to come by in the AM. I think we might head out to Holy Jim Canyon around lunch time to flex out the new lift a little.

714 747 4844.

Happy New Year!

Hey Sean, CONGRATS!

Did the calipers work?

Do the driveway alignment, then adjust your steering wheel.

Hope to wheel with you one day. I know you are headed up Nirth soon and I can't wheel for a few weeks....

Best of luck!

Good looking Jeep brother....I know you feel like you just finished a 27 mile marathon!!! Now to sleep it off for the entire day tomorrow.

BTW what type Volvo do you have? I just sold my 95 T-5R with 36000 original miles for TOOO CHEAP!!! Didn't realize there was such a big following for that vehicle...

ScottyDog

Back