• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wheel-bearing seal

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i just wanted to check with you guys and make sure i didn't install my new rear seals backwards before i put everything back together. the only reason i'm questioning it is because the "spring" on the old seals was closest to the bearing. the "spring" on my new seals is closest to the wheel. the metal casing are in the same orientation though... the flat faces is up against the bearing and the "cup" is facing outward towards the wheel. here's a pic...

dsc006002ru7.jpg

dsc006022yh8.jpg

STOP!!!!!

It sure looks backwards to me. It appears to be a double lip seal, the (for lack of better term) 'pointy' end of the main or larger lip should 'face' the fluid you are trying to keep in.

Thank you for double checking.
Tom

That seal is definitely installed backwards. Time to go buy another one.

yes stop, they are in backwards. you will probably have to buy new seals, they are next to impossible to remove without damaging them.

that's really not what i wanted to hear... they are both pounded in with a thin layer of rtv:banghead: are the seals to keep fluid in or crap out? i put them in that way becuase i figured it would be best to have the tighest end on the outside to help keep mud water out of my axle tubes... thats odd, since the metal pieces of the old and new are in the same orientation but the rubber parts are opposite. this sucks, nobodys going to be open tomorrow and my heep is out in the driveway just waiting for a supposed foot of snow. bummer

They look backward. The spring is supposed to be in the oil. They often say lip to the lube but some seals can be confusing be cause they have a lip effect on both sides. When you see one with the real thin spring around the lip of the seal think what would happen if it was exposed to the environment. If the spring was exposed it would rust real quick. Spring to the lube. Also try to come up with some sort of driver. Improvise with a nice thick plate of some sort to keep from distorting the seal when you drive it in. Lube the axle before you slide it in. Not so much that it throws off on to the brake parts.

ok, so i picked up some new seals today. just want to clarify once more before i go through with the install again...

this side is supposed to face out, towards the wheel:

dsc00607rdk3.jpg

and this side is supposed to face in, towards the pumpkin:

dsc00608rzp0.jpg

thanks!

This time around you have it correct! The spring should get wet.

Back