• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88...Check In Everyone

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty guys, it's been a while since I've been here, seeing as how I left the tight nit little family we have going here and went to the Wrangler/dark side, but a good friend of mine is a fellow XJ nut, and just got out of the marines, so he's back in the market. We've come by an 88 that seems to be in pretty sharp condition. I'd like you those of you guys out there with the most years behind ya to give me the laundry list of problems generally associated with the 88 line. Not that I need to mention it, as we're all aware, but it's common knowledge that every jeep year has it's inherent kinks. Where should I direct my attention? Thanks in advance to everybody who speaks up.:skull1:

this usually stirs up debate but I'll say it anyway.The closed cooling system sucks.
Check under the carpet for rusted out floor boards also.
If its got a manual tranny it has the ba 10/5 peugeot piece of shit...and an internal slave cylinder thats a pain in the ass to replace and they go bad often

On my '88 (173K) I've changed out over the 6 years I've owned it:

TPS
CPS
Both motor mounts
Trans mount
Exh manifold (went with OEM replacement)
Rear Main Seal
Oil filter adapter o-rings
Valve Cover gasket (twice)
Cleaned CCV orifice and associated tubing (several times)
Replaced radiator (2 core - closed system)
Coolant Bottle (twice, before rad swap)
Ignition switch (at base of column)
Waterpump (twice)
O2 sensor
Headliner (and visor covers)
Installed aftermarket keyless entry (didn't get OEM fobs)
Cleaned contacts and associated wiring for power door locks (so far so good)
Steering stabilizer

aside from the routine stuff (brakes, shocks, etc.) I think that's the bulk of it.

yea but all that stuff listed really isn't considered "design flaws" except the closed cooling system bottle.....
cps sensors routinely fail on all years of xj's....as do the exhaust manifolds.

add one more thing to the list:egr valve.the newer models don't have egr valves to go bad.

Back