• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Gas Tank Skid

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I went to my local Jeep dealer Saturday to pick up some stuff for a tune- up and decided to enquire about a gast tank skid as well. There are apparently 33 left and they are all in Milwaukee. Here's what blew me away...They cost $250, $190 with my discount. Why in the hell would these things cost $250? They aren't nearly strong enough to cost that much. Why would they be this much anyways 6 years after XJ production ended?

Look around the yards, I got this set from a local salvage yard for $75. They are coated in oil/dirt but no rust and they are in good condition. The engine skid took a hit but I have a torch and a hammer! They gave me all of the hardware as well. They came off of a 86 Cherokee Chief 2.8. I'm putting them on my restored 90' that is my DD.

skidplateskw7.jpg

I'm hoping to snag a front and gas tank skid for my DD. I have read that the TC skid is pretty weak so I think I'll go with one from an aftermarket manufacturer. Mostly I want the front skid as I think it will help the alternator from getting swamped in creek crossings. Ive thought about making a small splash-gaurd type skid for the front since the factory rubber "apron" is missing from under there.

clunk said:
I'm hoping to snag a front and gas tank skid for my DD. I have read that the TC skid is pretty weak so I think I'll go with one from an aftermarket manufacturer. Mostly I want the front skid as I think it will help the alternator from getting swamped in creek crossings. Ive thought about making a small splash-gaurd type skid for the front since the factory rubber "apron" is missing from under there.

The T-case skid is not going to win any awards for inovation or protection. Its ok off road and a whole lot better than nothing but I would defintely go with something more substantial. My DD never leaves pavement, Ive got a trail rig for that, I just want it on there for incase I slip off the road in the winter etc. The engine skid is a nice piece to have if yu have less than 4" lift, over that it will not protect your steering parts only the engine. The tank skid is a well built unit but the tank will have to be removed to put it on and thats a pain. You could get a aftermarket that will be easier to install and offer as much or more protection.

xjtrailrider said:
The T-case skid is not going to win any awards for inovation or protection. Its ok off road and a whole lot better than nothing but I would defintely go with something more substantial. My DD never leaves pavement, Ive got a trail rig for that, I just want it on there for incase I slip off the road in the winter etc. The engine skid is a nice piece to have if yu have less than 4" lift, over that it will not protect your steering parts only the engine. The tank skid is a well built unit but the tank will have to be removed to put it on and thats a pain. You could get a aftermarket that will be easier to install and offer as much or more protection.

Why would you remove the gas tank to install the OEM skid? It bolts right over it (under the stock hitch, if equipped). IIRC I gave around $60 shipped for mine (from the for sale forum either here or on JF--I forget which) and it has worked fine.

Do you have a pick a part in your area? I just picked up both for $40 and it took 1/2 an hour of my time. Or you can try Craigslist. Good luck hunting for one.

I picked up a gas tank skid plate at the local PAP and paid $15 for it. I told the guy at the window it was a "splash pan" and he asked if it was "metal or plastic" and I answered "which is cheaper?" :D Seriously though, there are tons of them in the yards. I also picked up a T/C skid ($9) as well (not the best but, better than nothing) not to mention a set of factory tow hooks and brackets (about $15 too) If I would have paid dealer prices for those items.....well, I wouldn't have. Do a little junkyard scrounging, it's amazing what you can find out there sometimes ;) and it's fun :)--------Hans

mecompco said:
Why would you remove the gas tank to install the OEM skid? It bolts right over it (under the stock hitch, if equipped). IIRC I gave around $60 shipped for mine (from the for sale forum either here or on JF--I forget which) and it has worked fine.

True the whole tank doesn't have to come out but the straps do have to come off and then go under the tank skid. Its still a PITA!

mecompco said:
Nope, no need to touch the straps. The skid goes entirely over the tank, straps, plastic "skid" and all. If you have a hitch, that DOES need to come off, though.

AND, if you have the factory hitch, you already have the "nut strips" that hold the hitch and skid.
On our '89 with factory skid there was no plastic "skid". I cut the plastic way down when I installed a skid on the '96.
If you pull your own skid, try to get the exhaust mount also because the skid / hitch one is different.

mecompco said:
Nope, no need to touch the straps. The skid goes entirely over the tank, straps, plastic "skid" and all. If you have a hitch, that DOES need to come off, though.

OK I stand corrected! I could have swore that the straps were under that skid, but hey I'm old so maybe the memory is going now!

Back