• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumped on TCU

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
me and Tim are trying to figure out how the hell to swap my 96' TCU into my 99'. I have a 96' tranny in it, and because of that the codes are flashing up.

Where is the 96's TCU? I know its on the passenger side somewhere, VS the 99' being on the drivers side.

what gives?:wow:

I'm not sure when it moved (98 I think). The old location was tucked up under the lower edge of the dash, just a few inches up behind the kickpanel, right between the passengers knees.

lawsoncl said:
I'm not sure when it moved (98 I think). The old location was tucked up under the lower edge of the dash, just a few inches up behind the kickpanel, right between the passengers knees.

So can you get to it by just removing that kickpanel mess on the passenger side, or does the glove box and what not have to come out as well?

LocationsControl Module Notes Transmission Control Module

Thats where they are on a 99, but in the 96 it's in a different spot is it not? We looked there on the 96 and didn't see it....

ia green96 said:
LocationsControl Module Notes Transmission Control Module

Nope... not there.. as tim said,.. we :eyes:

99XJSPORT06 said:
So can you get to it by just removing that kickpanel mess on the passenger side, or does the glove box and what not have to come out as well?

I've pulled them at the junkyard without pulling the panel, but I have small hands. Otherwise, pull that lower kickpanel and it's two 10mm nuts holding it onto the back of the kickpanel. Here's the picture from the 97 FSM.
tcu_location.jpg

Have you looked right under the glove box on the passenger side?

We didnt have a good angle on it but It very well could be there... I felt for it but may have missed it. I'll take a look when I get back up there.

Ok found it on the 96.....problem is, the one on the 99 is about half the size of that on the 96, as is the plug for it, meaning it won't work...unless i'm missing something completely obvious here.....

99XJSPORT06 said:
Ok found it on the 96.....problem is, the one on the 99 is about half the size of that on the 96, as is the plug for it, meaning it won't work...unless i'm missing something completely obvious here.....
that's correct.

you need a 97+ tranny/TCU in order for it to work properly.

the 96 is not 100% OBDII compliant. doesn't have the second speed sensor that the 97+ aw4s have

CheapXJ said:
that's correct.

you need a 97+ tranny/TCU in order for it to work properly.

the 96 is not 100% OBDII compliant. doesn't have the second speed sensor that the 97+ aw4s have
Which is why the CEL is on throwing a speed sensor error....makes sense now.

So in other words, because he's got a 96 AW4 in a 99, with the 99 TCU, he's SOL on getting that code to go away? He also said it doesn't want to go into OD when cold, which I would assume is a result of the difference in Tranny vs. TCU.

I'm new to this swapping tranny's and TCU's deal, so i'm learning as I go along. Learned some good info so far :)

While you could swap the TCU's with the correct wiring you might still run into an issuse with the engine controller/CEL talking to the TCU.

MJR said:
While you could swap the TCU's with the correct wiring you might still run into an issuse with the engine controller/CEL talking to the TCU.

Exactly. The final fix for that of course would be swapping in a manual version of the ECU.

Wha about Drilling and tapping a hole for the speed sensor on th input.. Its just a blank nub on the 96, and a sensor on the 99 right behind the bell housing... how bad off would that be?

ZacSquatch said:
Wha about Drilling and tapping a hole for the speed sensor on th input.. Its just a blank nub on the 96, and a sensor on the 99 right behind the bell housing... how bad off would that be?

I don't know what the internals look like, but there were likely a few internal changes to support a front input sensor. You might be jamming an input sensor into the side of the case without anything for it to read.

Well damn... Its making me fail an inspection If I cant get it fixed... and it would mean swapping my 99 tranny back in to do so. PITA!!!!

Zac is it failing just because of the CEL? Or are they hooking a machine to the OBD connector and reading the codes?

I haven't takin it into the shop to get one done because I know it won't pass. My buddy does my inspections for me but there only so much he can cheat on... they plug it into a machine that send all the data to DMV to make sure all codes are clear and shit. Then it verifies and prints out a sticker..

Back