• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse lights only come on with handle pushed forward

1bolt

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I'm thinking it's NSS cleaning time but it's a 97 XJ and I've only got experience with earlier ones, so I figured I'd ask here before opening yet another minor maint. project for myself (All of my Jeeps currently have something going wrong, Alt in my XJ, MJ needs injectors and a radiator, Wifes 97 has a couple odd issues like this one).

If I shift to reverse the lights don't stay on unless I put some pressure (towards park) on the shifter handle. Certain to be the NSS right?

Adjust it first. From the pass side the smaller upper right hand bolt is only a hold down and it allows the NSS to pivot. Loosen it and give the NSS a little twist. Gently snug the bolt and test it. When you get it in a good spot, test it and make sure the XJ only starts in P and N and re-tighten the bolt.

standard.jpg

davebz1a said:
I did mine on Saturday for the second time in 4 years. I also had DTC P0700, and P0705 transmission codes. I cleared them, and all is well. Here's a good write up:
http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp
I had the same prob with my 97 did this and the backup lights work fine now and I also dont get the engine code on the trans cable any more do this and you will be good to go

thanks all this worked just losened it jogged it a tiny bit to the front and tightened it back up.

Back