• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 timing

porkstab

NAXJA Forum User
i put an 87 engine and head in my 98. i got the timing close enough that it will run roughly for a minute or so without giving it any gas. i cant find a way to adjust the timing any closer.
it shows one code, #1698; no communication to Transmission Control Module.

Is there a difference in the engines i'm unaware of?
Is this TCM code my problem?
Is there a way to adjust the timing?

thanks, Jared

87 in a 98?

Good bye value ;)

Anyway. TCM will not cause engine to run rough. Engine could run without the TCM...or even the tranny.

Did you keep all the 87' electronics? I hope you aren't trying to wire it to the 98's wiring. (Not sure when they swapped to coils, instead of a distributor, but I could see taht being a problem if thats what you're trying to do.)

Where did this 87' engine come from? It's not blown/damaged itself is it? You sure all the wires are going to the right cylinder ;)

why does everyone act like a little kid on here? my question: is there a way to fine tune the timing on a 98?

if you can't help someone, why would you even waste your own time responding with BS.

Back