• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AA SYE and NP 231 ????s HELP?

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
So i just finished installing my AA SYE yesterday. I also put on a new tom woods drive shaft. Just started it today and when i turn the key i get (not a grinding sound) a kind of sound that reminds me of moving the gears around inside the Tcase and it sounds like the gears are slipping???:shocked: After a few turns of the key it went away and the car started like normal. Then it would not shift out of first gear?:banghead: That is all i have for you. Kind of hard to explain.

What i'm asking is this, what the hell is going on??
I double checked the directions against the pictures i took during the install and everything is correct..to my knowledge.
Is there any steps i can take to eliminate problems before i just tear the Tcase back out and start over??

Thanks for your help.

did you remove or do ANYTHING to the starter? sounds like your starter is hanging up. trany being stuck makes me wonder about the t/case you installed.... you give very little info so lets keep it simple... did you reinstall the same t/case you removed?? how did the install of the kit go? how about reinstallation of the t/case? i am thinking there was some kind of issue you had along the way and might not have recognized as important... somethng not fit propery? if it didnt fit, did you force it? you need to give more info..

ok i will answer the questions in order..

1. Starter is fine, never touched it and to my knowledge works fine.(remember i had it running earlier today)

2.Yes, same Tcase was installed. Same everything except the new yoke and driveshaft

3.Install of the kit went ok... the snap rings were hard to get off but we mamaged. At first we put the oil pump on backwards but we saw that before we closed it up and put it back on the right way. The only goof up i now remember is the ruber gromet that goes on before the yoke for the back driveshaft. We put it on in this order, shaft, yoke, gromet, and nut. (would this really effect the grinding im hearing?) I plan to change this around today.

4. The reinstallation went fine untill we got to the 1 or 2 bolts on the passengers side. (We took the Tcase out and worked on it on a workbench) These bolts were hard to tighten because of space, but we got them in the end.

5. I honestly cant remember if something did not fit properly, do you mean within the Tcase? or when putting it back on the car? If something did not fit within the Tcase, we just lifted it back off and tryed again untill it fit. I am 98% sure nothing was forced. The other 2% go to the reinstallation of the Tcase onto my XJ. I'm talking about the bolts that were a bitch and a half to get off and back on.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks.

FIGURED IT OUT.

I am an idiot.

The problem: It was the fan on the engine. It was hitting one of the ac hoses and making a grinding/scaping noise. For some reason it sounded as if it was coming from the tcase. I bent the hose away from the fan and it now works...

Problem solved, well kinda, now i have nearly grinded through the ac hose. So that will have to be replaced, But that is alot better than removing the tcase and starting over. :)

the "grinding" noise sounds like a starter thats not fully engaging the flywheel and you are hearing the gear drive spin... i'd be more concerned with the trany issue. does the t/case shift properly? i'd reverse your reinstallation steps one at a time and see if it frees up the trany after each step. if the t/case turns freely on its own and the trany shifts freely on its own.. the problem is somewhere along the installation.. its just a process of elimination for you really..

ya i found the problem, the spring in the drain plug was flipped around during previous install, so the 4WD gear was rubbing against the spring and bent the shit out of it, (hence no shifting of 4WD) Is this spring a speciality part or can i get it through NAPA, Shucks, etc?? Or do i have to go to the dealer for this?

P.S. Does anyone know if the service department at the dealership would be open tomorrow?

The spring holds a detent pin up against the shift sector. Dealer item, less than $15 for the detent pin, spring and plug o-ring at dealer.

There are two sizes of pin and spring dependent on year of T/C manufacturer. In the 2000XJ the pin was larger diameter and the spring was longer, in the 87 XJ the spring was about 2 inches long and the pin smaller also.

Back