• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Noise

arfalberg

NAXJA Forum User
I am new here so hi to all.

i just got my 89 xj running and am having an issue with my spring and sway bar connector rubbing together. I did a search and did not find anything so im hoping you guys could help me out. Basically on the front right corner the spring and sway bar connector rub together when under compressed, like bumps. I dont see anything that could be used to adjust this, i dont see anything misaligned or bent, I am at a loss for what to do.

A little clarification, it is stock suspention setup, and the spring is rubbing on the bottom end of the connector that actually attaches to the sway bar. So much so that the paint on the spring is gone and it is now wearing away the metal of the spring.

Last edited:
:bawl: still need help with this issue, even if you have an idea of what it might be please inform me. Thanks in advance for your help.:bawl:

What have you done to the suspension?
Have you replaced the control arms or anything that would move the front axle forward?

swaybar tab might be bent
the trackbar might be bent, and an axle that's not centered could cause that
the stock lower control arms aren't that stout, a hard hit sometime in it's life may have tweaked one.
Does it drive straight down the road?
Has it had an alignment recently?

i will post a pic when i get home.

Drives kinda strait. the sterring wheel seems to have a lot of turn befor enguaging the wheels. (could that be the steering pump perhaps?)

no idea on alignment i bought it last summer and just got around to getting it running, i was going to get one as soon as i figured out this issue.

i will also check to see if i see any bent or busted or twisted or otherwise deformed pieces tonight.

thanks again for the help.

also check the swaybar bushings on the "frame". If they are worn out it wil allow for some play. If nothing else seems wrong and you want a quick fix they make sway bar drop brackets. The brackets move the swaybar down and forward

Get some sway bar relocation brackets!

sry i exceeded my usage on the page. here is the photos hope i made them small enouph. here is me ointing out the rub point. it also rubs the one above it.

P1020143b.jpg

as far as the other picks i dont think they are very helpfull so i wont post

BTW i deleted the files that the links point to.

Last edited:
Back