• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differnt way to remove rust

ScottyDog said:
WOW that is really cool!

Now I just need to find a tub big enough to put this entire Jeep in to loose all the rusted bolts.... Hmmmmm LOL

I have a swimming pool big enough for two maybe three jeeps!:roflmao:

Ever watched any programs on salvaging old ship wreck parts? Basically what they do with old metal parts like canons. Cool way to do it. I just need to figure out how to do that on the sheet metal, lol.

erikwylie said:
I have a swimming pool big enough for two maybe three jeeps!:roflmao:

I think wyliewet does the same thing. But you will need a ton of fabrize afterwords...

What would be cool if there was a way to remove grease the same way. I have a tank but the solvent is really hard to come by. I have tried the water based solvents and they are crap.

Leep said:
I think wyliewet does the same thing. But you will need a ton of fabrize afterwords...

What would be cool if there was a way to remove grease the same way. I have a tank but the solvent is really hard to come by. I have tried the water based solvents and they are crap.
i have alot of people coming in to buy tank solvents from me and i tell them the same thing, its all crap now. one guy came in and told me you can still buy the good stuff in nevada, but i havent checked on that one.

Leep said:

We got these hot water parts cleaning cabinets at work. All they have is water and soap and they work very good.

MJR said:
We got these hot water parts cleaning cabinets at work. All they have is water and soap and they work very good.
the parts washer at my work is hot soapy water and it does great on most stuff just not plastic friendly I melted the handle to a screw driver last week

I have done it. You need to do it in a well vented area for sure.

ManBearPig said:
What if instead of using a steel rod you used a steel wheel? Would it matter?

Seems like you would need an aweful big container to fit your part in, and fit a wheel in?

One of our customers was complaining about excesesive rust geting into his radiator, so the shop bought about 30 galons of evapo-rust. It just came in yesterday and we put an old cylinder head into it, we could see it working after about an hour, but we are going to let it sit over the weekend before giving it a final verdict. The stuff isnt cheap thou. The website sells it for $21 a gallon.

As for cleaning greasy parts low odor mineral spirits will do a pretty good job, just use it in a well ventilated area.

~Alex

Greasy parts, use EasyOff oven cleaner.

just dont use softner or you will make the metal weak!! LOL

Its been a while, but I want to leave a comment about the evapo rust. We did not have the results shown on the website. However it did break the rust down and make it basically cruble of when it is rubbed off. I let a set of rusty verner calipers sit overnight, just had to take some scotch bright to it quick and they were good to go. It penetrated under the slide very well.

~Alex

Back