• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW SNORKEL (homemade) links to pics...

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Here is the snorkel I just finished.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/rcmf5525/snorkel1.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/rcmf5525/snorkel2.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/rcmf5525/snorkel3.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/rcmf5525/snorkel4.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/rcmf5525/snorkel5.jpg

Price list:
3"X2' ABS Pipe 2@$4.77
4"X3" Galv. Reducer $5.37
3" ABS 22 1/2 Elbow $5.23
3" ABS 45 Elbow $3.37
3" ABS Female Adapter $3.07
3" ABS Plug $1.33
3" ABS Coupling $1.37
3" ABS Wye $4.47
3" Plastic Flexi Pipe (auto zone) $19.99

Total $53.14

Added bonus: Sounds mean at full throttle

What is holding this contraption in place?
What are you planning to do when it rains?

That filter will get dirty super fast with it being so exposed. I would build a shield of some kind to protect it from dirt/mud as well as keeping a tree or rock from knocking it off.

Won't it suck water in immediately? I was thinking about doing that, but I thought it would hydrolock deliciously quickly.

First of all, it is still a rough draft. It is not mounted securely yet. I am driving it around with no issues. I dont think I will do any bashing around until I have it mounted though. Some one said they thought it would get dirty quickly being out side the engine bay. The hole purpose of a snorkel is to get the intake point up high to get it to cleaner air and lower the possibility of hydrolock when entering deep water. The wye connector allows for about a liter of water uptake safely. Dont think I would try it, but more H2O could be asperated and would collect in the bends of the piping before it would come close to entering the TB. I have been thining about the rain issue. It actually rained hard here yesterday. I have a stuff sack from an old sleeping bag I had which I though was water proof. I slipped it over the filter before it started raining. When I went to inspect, I found it was only water resistant. There was about half a cup of water that collected in the wye connector. It rained about 2.5". Driving in a heavy thunder storm would possibly be an issue. I may make a shield so rain will not enter the filter from the front.

I just wanted to show everyone my snorkel idea. It is a work in progress. Like everything else....

Personally, I would put the airbox back in, close off the front of the airbox, drill a hole in the back of the air box and run the snorkel from there.
Hit a junkyard and find one of those volvo delivery trucks you see running around cities, they have a neat snorkel head that sits behind the cab, that might work.

dude.... have you ever seen anyone else's snorkel? theres a reason the filter isnt on the end of the tube. im all for making your own snorkel but the filter needs to be protected from splashing, it needs to be enclosed, preferably under the hood.

WheelinJR said:
god that's terrible. Id hide that in your garage as much as possible.
I was trying to be nice about it.(although I do kinda get the urge to take a dump in it)
At least take the Home Depot stickers off if you insist on running with it.
This is the reason I don't make my own products for my Jeep, I know what I am good at and what I am not.

Well, it's interesting at any rate, I'll give it that. Has sort of a Crickydile Dundee look ( you know the Tube sticking straight up out of the hood with a oil bath sitting on top of it ).

I would think about Rich's advice and put the Air cleaner inside with a stock airbox and filter and dump the kone. The stock filter , well, filters better, and it will get the filter out of the elements.

You may also want to rethink the "trap" at the bottom of the tube as it's likely to get caught on something.

Along those lines, you might think about some sort of rain cap for the top. ARB and the Volvo stack Rich was talking about, face the opening forward for a ram intake effect at speed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "knocking it" but rather, think it needs refinement.

Nice 1st try :D

Ron

You never listed the price of the filter. Looks cool in a Top Truck Challenge kind of way, though.

RichP said:
Personally, I would put the airbox back in, close off the front of the airbox, drill a hole in the back of the air box and run the snorkel from there.
Hit a junkyard and find one of those volvo delivery trucks you see running around cities, they have a neat snorkel head that sits behind the cab, that might work.

I'd like to see a picture of the intake/truck you're talking about.

Not too bad.......A for effort, C for design. Something really needs to be done about the filter though!! Remember it is the creative idea that fuels the aftermarket!! Without people like you most of us would be runnin stock Jeeps! Just think about how much crap the first person who welded their spider gears got..........:cheers:

I too give an A for effort.. not everyone is willing to just go at something like that... cutting a hole in a fender and try to make a good functional intake.

I do all my stuff under close supervision of a semi trained professional. Even with a full auto shop available with good advance notice... I've got these projects waiting:

1) Supercharger (supercharger sitting in closet)
2) AWShift (module sitting beside me on a chair)
3) New winch bumper I need to blast/paint (sitting in bedroom)
4) Brand new winch for said bumper (totally in the way in our bedroom)
5) Rear facing camera system with LCD monitor (sitting under AWShift)
6) Install XM radio system to my indash DVD player... (If I don't do that in 3hrs no 3mo free)
7) Fix crack in window with DIY kit (sitting beside couch)
8.........whatever you get the idea.

I have the stuff... I have the shop.. the tools.. Yet this guy has more balls that I do for trying to getter done'

So shame to those who bashed. :)

Back