• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What sensor does this connect to?

jonnycat

NAXJA Forum User
I found this orphaned connector under the hood of my 98 Cherokee, on the left side of the engine compartment, back by the firewall between the AC and the Transmission Fluid Dipstick.

. It has two wires coming from it; any idea where it is supposed to go? Thanks!

mysterysensoryy6.jpg

It's not the oil pressure sensor (although it's in the right area). There is another plug near the distributor cap, check there.

Markos said:
It's not the oil pressure sensor (although it's in the right area). There is another plug near the distributor cap, check there.

I looked around the distributor, and there are two sensors at the base (one angling down), but both of them are plugged in.

xjtrailrider said:
I don't know but it looks as if it has not been plugged in for a while!

Indeed!

scorpio_vette said:
most likely your ABS plug. do you have ABS??? if not, then that's what it is.

I do have ABS, but this won't reach over to where the pump is?

Use a Voltmeter and see if there's any juice. Some models have a under hood light that comes on when the hood is raised. I think the newer models are 2 wire. My '88 has only one.

Saudade said:
Use a Voltmeter and see if there's any juice. Some models have a under hood light that comes on when the hood is raised. I think the newer models are 2 wire. My '88 has only one.

Yep, there is 12VDC on it regardless of key position. One wire black, one wire red. I'll crawl underneath and see if it gets juice when the hood is closed.

UPDATE:

Tested the voltage with the hood closed, and it is still at 12VDC. Hmmmmm....

Last edited:
jonnycat said:
Yep, there is 12VDC on it regardless of key position. One wire black, one wire red. I'll crawl underneath and see if it gets juice when the hood is closed.

UPDATE:

Tested the voltage with the hood closed, and it is still at 12VDC. Hmmmmm....

That still could be the under hood light, I think they had a mercury switch in them so when the hood was down the light would shut off. It would still have 12v all of the time. Maybe some one could verify.

I have the under hood light as well, and I believe that is the connector for it. However, my under hood light doesn't work.

Slo-Sho said:
Do you have cruise control?

Yes, but it works fine.

I looked on the parts fiche, and it sure looks like the hood light, as suggested by Saudade.

hoodlightqv7.jpg

I'm guessing that there is a little part between the bulb and the connector that senses (Hg?) the hood opening. Anyone know what it's called, and/or where to get it?

My '88 has the "uber" underhood retractable light. I can pull the lamp module out of the holder and extend it about 15 ft or so. It's long enough to reach around to the back. However, I carry a small Maglite in my toolkit and a 12v fluorescent for any nighttime roadside repair.

hmmm that connector looks identical to the cruise control connector on my 89.
about those retractable lights....they are cool while they last but the retracting mechanism usually breaks causing the wire to stay deployed...

outlander said:
about those retractable lights....they are cool while they last but the retracting mechanism usually breaks causing the wire to stay deployed...

That's my fear using it, so I carry the other lights.

Back