• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motion for socal tech

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
I dont see why we cant have tech writups in the socal section when they are written by a socal member. It would give local guys a place to share where they buy local parts as well as celibrate the fact we have some of the best jeep wrenches in naxja as members of our chapter.

Mike "aka Grim" did a good job doing a write up and it was moved (n) , I dont agree with that decision, it was a socal write up about a socal jeep repair being done by socal members so it belongs in socal!

Edit:Just saw Remi made a usefull tech sticky so I guess that will do you can delete this if you like

Last edited:
Please don't hate me guys....but I disagree.

We have a tech section for the whole group. If we keep our tech local only, then the guys who are searching in the correct forum may not find the best tech help, like mikes write-up. I think the SOCAL group has been doing a great job lately of trying to seperate themselves from the rest of NAXJA. We post articles in our forum only, saying that we only want help from local guys we know...thats pretty damn arrogant. If we wanted to be Socal XJ, then we wouldn't be a nationwide (and then some) club.

JohnX said:

We have a tech section for the whole group. If we keep our tech local only, then the guys who are searching in the correct forum may not find the best tech help, like mikes write-up. I think the SOCAL group has been doing a great job lately of trying to seperate themselves from the rest of NAXJA. We post articles in our forum only, saying that we only want help from local guys we know...thats pretty damn arrogant. If we wanted to be Socal XJ, then we wouldn't be a nationwide (and then some) club.

I do agree with what your saying, and in my opinion I believe it to be more of a who in Socal had the most knowledge of being able to help a local person through some things that they don't know how todo! Its like a directory of who's who locally that can lend a hand. I might not be saying that correctly, but a local person can be more of assistance sometimes than a someonein say Massachusets. Someone that can (time willing) come and help walk you through what your trying to do. I don't think its arrogance, more of "hey, who locally has the knowledge that I need to fix my junk"

just my .03

Overrated, just buy a book and be done with it. All seriousness there are MANY here that have the knowledge and I am on the fence with this one. I agree with John about putting it in the national forum but then again I agree with Erik about the local guys that do have the kowledge and can spare some time to asist.

All of the write ups are good, Esp mikes. He has never done this sort of thin (not bagging on you mike), and did a very well detailed explanation of changing the seals and bearing. One thing that mike did include are part numbers (not generally in a write up), and sometimes that is what someone is really looking for.

I have seen some Really good write up then I have seen some really bad ones. Maybe have the best of both worlds here. Move the write ups to the national section, but have a section here in the local forum pointing to it. Poss give it a tag of what was done, IE "D30 Seal/bearing replacement". I think our local forum search will find it. This way the national searches will hit it and the local guys can search the thread and get the heading tag.

Will that work ?

Just my .02 worth.

I have read some really good

JohnX said:

I agree with John here guys. I originally thought it would be cool...but I have learned a ton over the last 3 years on Naxja, and not all was from the so cal forum....

How about instead of a sticky, a specific TECH Write Up category in the forums themselves though....

tcm glx said:
How about instead of a sticky, a specific TECH Write Up category in the forums themselves though....
not going to happen. this has been brought up many times in the members forum as well, by me and others, but nobody wants to step up and do it. everyone says its going to turn into a big problem so :dunno: just be happy we got a tech sticky :D

My experience in using the search feature has been that it pulls up whatever I am searching for no matter what section it was in. I would like for there to be a stcky with good complete tech write-ups somewhere, no matter if it is in the SoCal section or the OEM tech section. It sure would make it easier for the less knowledgeable such as myself. I have came across quite a few good write-ups while searching that have helped me alot but it took, in some cases, close to an hour of searching and reading before I found what I was looking for. I would rather spend my time wrenching instead of searching. Just my 2 cents. :D

I see it both ways, we are nation wide club so we should help each other(everybody),
but it really is alot eaiser to ask for help from the socal group. We have a wealth of knowledge and in most cases we take the time to help that person personnly either with the info needed or by going to that person. Just my opinon.

XJMilan said:
I have came across quite a few good write-ups while searching that have helped me alot but it took, in some cases, close to an hour of searching and reading before I found what I was looking for. I would rather spend my time wrenching instead of searching. Just my 2 cents. :D
that was exactly my point. i figure if national wont listen maybe my local BOD would. but i agree i wouldnt want to exclude the rest of NAXJA, and its not my goal to break away from the national club. i just think it would be easier if the tech writeups people do were all in one section. :looney:

1: Im not saying to not post in the national sections, My thought was to make a section of stuff done by locals so when we need some thing we can look it up find who did it and what they used and ask for help if necessary.

2: When I search for tech I get a whole lot of crap to fish through that is not what im looking for but has a word or two from what im looking for in the article so having a tech thread or section labeled as such in the socal forum would help focus the search to stuff the guys in socal need to know. ( who in socal has a rig set up for a snow plow I meen come on, lets share beach desert and rockcrawling information since thats what we do)

3: I hope the 2008 BOD for socal will be less soup natzi ish with thread moving and let socal be socal and national be national, and no Im not supporting socal breaking away from national if thats what you want theres a group called socalxj that already has that covered.

How about a compromise?

If you have a good tech writeup, post it in National tech. It's not just local guys who will find it useful, believe me!

For parts sources and the like, start a sticky in your chapter. Do a CL-style "rants and raves" on parts houses - what they did right, why you like them. What they consistently do wrong, why the suck - so you have your local focus. If you have a specific counterman who does an excellent job, post that little detail as well (and when he can usually be found. Like at my local - the best guy to talk to is "Ugly Jim" - works Wednesday through Saturday, and runs the place. And, he knows who I am, so he knows who sent the guy in.)

This will also build your relationship with the local - brings business to the little guy, and your prices will start to improve due to the added business you're sending in. I don't "shop around" - I've found the people I like - but I send them enough business that I get jobber at the local parts house (cost + 15%) and the dealer I've used for years (cost + 10%,) and I get favours from both when I need them - like "part to-day, cash to-morrow" (which I do not overuse - but it's there if I need it,) I can get catalogues ordered for me for no charge, and things like that. It's called "rapport building," and it really does help!

Folks here's the deal. If you have a question about how to do something post it up where it belongs in the tech forums. If you need someone to swing by and help you with it, post it up in the chapter forum. If you need parts locally post it up with what you're looking in the chapter forum. I think that's the best of all worlds. SoCal chapter is a part of national and this subforum is to help us facilitate chapter related stuff (and a tech question is not really chapter related item ;) :D )

There has been a sticky up top for a while now about good places to know. Now there is also a sticky with tech stuff in it (that will grow and get stuff added to it). Otherwise then that, I really don't see a need for chapter related tech section.

In regards to searches: if you search all forums you'll find it no matter where it's at. If you're searching for something really specific and want to narrow down your search then you'll probably narrow down your search to the appropriate forum and if the item in questino was posted elsewhere you'll miss it.

Here is my view:

I'm a firm believer of organized documentation and that includes keeping topics in the appropriate areas. If I were to search for a tech topic such as a rear main seal replacement, I'd obviously search in the tech forums. Yea, chances someone local will have a response but If someone posted the answer in the correct area, it would be easier for me to find instead of having to search in all the chapter sub forums.

If we were to add a Socal Tech forum, then ppl may ask why we are so special to have our own and then other chapters may follow suit. Then it would start causing even more redundant questions and answers.

Yes I agree that the tech forums are littered with topics and posts that are completely off topic which makes its even harder to find what you are looking for. This also happens in the SoCal Forum.

Thats why its important to try to stay on topic within a given thread.

We as the SoCal Chapter need to participate nationally and be part of the organization and not try to separate ourselves as elitists because we arent.

If you want, you can start your own forum or tech knowledgebase for better organization.

everyone is going overboard with this. i just wanted somewhere to keep the tech articles organized, i dont give a damn where it is. i only suggested putting it here because national seemed uninterested when it was brought up, and i thought maybe if i asked my own chapter head honchos about it my voice might be heard, instead of ignored. i understand tech doesnt belong here, thats fine. i completely agree that it should be in the national forum section, but nobody else seems to think making it easier for people to find information is at all important. i know of 2 people i met out at azusa that said they stopped coming here because they get flamed for asking questions and it takes to long to find what they are looking for. that is why i wanted to try and keep this from happening. when is the last time you guys tried searching for something if you didnt have a specific thread in mind? its a huge pain in the ass. at least the tech sticky is a step in the right direction.

:hang:

Hey gang,

Lots of great ideas here. I believe Remi has done the right thing wiht a controlled thread with active links to the actual full thread.

One thing the new BOD has is a common view that the SoCal Chapter needs to be more involved in the National community, if not leading the way.

I also think this thread has been beat to death.

Hopefully, no one's feelings were hurt too bad and there is a happy medium with the decisions made.

Great input from soem of the most knowledgable XJ folks is what makes this the best Chapter within NAXJA.

Something else I've been gradually working on - when I see a "Tech Writeup," I save it as a .pdf. I'll be gathering permission from the OP in each case, and hosting them up at WiP for more ready reference and download.

While it might pull traffic from here, it's still something that will keep them more organised and make them easier to refer to. And, I don't see a conflict - since there will still be plenty of traffic here (and I am hoping for some reduction, mainly in redundant questions and "failures to search.")

Back