• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front washer switch/combo switch.......

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
After driving my 90XJ in a snow storm today, I had a issue with my front washer/ wiper. When I turn the switch, the washer pump does not always pump and the wipers don't move. Some time it works, some times it does not.

Can these switches be cleaned and/or taken apart, or should I just find another one? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Happy New Yearparty1:

Just chiming in here because this is happening to mine too. No freezing here. When I flip the switch (butterfly switch?) the fluid just piddles out and the wipers don't do squat. Normally the wipers work on all counts, intermittent etc.

The rear, on a different switch, works great, so like I said freezing isn't an issue.

So, this all happened gradually over the last few weeks. I thought it was the pump somehow but when I checked the pumps they both fired right up. I'm suspecting the electrics in the switch itself. I have read that the wiring in the column gets frayed and could contribute to that problem but I'm more for testing and/or replacing the whole shebang. My XJ is 17-18 yrs old and usually gets all the attention it needs.

I have the procedure for testing the various switches in my FSM but can't post it here so maybe if you PM me I can scan it for you.

Howdy

Freezing is not the issue, rear works great and when " contact " is made, the front works. I see that a new switch is about $25, but not sure if there is a contact plate that can be cleaned. Has anyone taken one apart?

I didn't think of looking in the FSM, I will check that!!!

Happy New Year:confused1

I've had the same issue for years, washer fluid squirts but the wipers won't automatically come on. Have to squirt then turn on the wipers. Now yesterday my wipers won't turn off until I find the "sweet" spot on the 'stalk switch'.

Can you just pull the stalk off the switch assembly that is buried in the column and replace with a boneyard pull off?
Somebody out there must have been through this.

So I did some part searches and it looks like the stalk arm is basically only a keyed metal rod that activates the switch in the steering column. I think that the switch assembly in the column will need to be replaced. No easy fix here.

Anybody out there to confirm this?

Back