• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cel/evap problems on 01 xj

87baseomatic

NAXJA Forum User
My fathers 01xj keeps throwing codes for large evap leak and purge flow. Occasionally it will throw a small evap leak and ldp pressure switch code too. Sometimes all at once.

72k on the jeep. 4.0L, I put a new oem gas cap, purge valve and leak detection pump about 5k ago. If I clear the codes out the jeep is fine for a few days. Once the gas gets down to a 1/4 tank, I smell fuel and the light comes on. There are no fuel leaks whatsover and I wasnt able to find any broken evap lines in the engine bay, but with the smell appearing something must be busted. I have an emission smoke machine at work but don't have the time to test his jeep.

Any ideas, the only other thing I noticed is 2 of the pcm connectors are cracked. He was getting 02 sensor codes and had an inop coolant gauge which ended up being the pcm connector broken. The two wires weren't secured in the connector and werent making contact with the pcm cause of it. This was two years ago though. I recently bought new connectors from the dealer but haven't had a chance to install them yet.

You will prolly end up taking it to a shop that has a smoke machine. we have one we use for evap troubleshooting. they are handy but a bit spendy.

I have a smoke machine at my work but I never have time to bring his jeep in as we have conflicting schedules. I know the evap lines under the hood always break but are there any common spots in the back of the xj where they rot away.

did he by chance recently buy a new gas cap?

Back