• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winches?

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
winch prefference, financial burden to some, life saver to anyone that was stuck 3.5 hours at night in mud up to the rockers while it was snowing and they broke there only tow strap trying to pull you out! So the question is what works for the money and what doesnt? a winch always has to work when you need it wether its once or 5 times a day. So are the 10,000lbs 5 horsepower 300 dollar winches really worth it or does the tried and true method of you get what you pay for still stand firm? also to add is a solid mount winch on the front bumper really the best deal what if the guy behind you gets stuck and you cant turn around, no snatch block, and the only way you were getting a second winch was to not pay a months rent? Then what?

I run the smitty build winch, its like 300 buck with everything you need. It is a little slower then a warn or something like that but iv never had it not pull me. It bogs down very little also, With two lockers and a heavy right foot i dont use it that often though but well worth the money spent.

I've got 2 winchs... both are XRC8s (299 shipped)

I haven't used them yet... one will be installed tomorrow. For the money it seems to be a great winch... It's well built and VERY heavy duty.

As far as the mounts... I have a winch bumper almost finished for the front and another smaller winch on the rear that i'll use a snatch block with.

If you want to be able to use the same winch for the front and rear then just get a bumper with reciever mount in the front and one for the rear. Put the winch in a removable reciever craddle. I don't like this route since it kills your approach angle as well as flops around from the high tolerances between the hitch and the reciever.

I suggest an inexpensive winch, worth it IMO, since they come with a 2 year warranty anyways!

I have the Smittybuilt XRC-8 and I have used it quite a few times, only twice to get myself out...all the other ones was getting other people out.

It is slower than the warn but it yanked a 2004 Z71 up a hill that it couldn't climb....which I thought was funny seeing how 6 Jeeps had already gone up the same hill.

200710061827_00074.jpg

I modified the bracket on mine so that the solinoid box is directly over the spool and a lil higher just so it looks better... THey look like great winches!

lowrange2 said:
I haven't used them yet... one will be installed tomorrow. For the money it seems to be a great winch... It's well built and VERY heavy duty. I suggest an inexpensive winch, worth it IMO, since they come with a 2 year warranty anyways!
Thats really great advice,until yore stuck in the middle of a snow storm trying to get out! I'll stick with Warn any day over the others.I hated my Ramsey!

I said "seems like a good winch for the money". I was commenting on parts and quality, the only downside I see is linespeed. If you're not in a financial situation to buy a Warn then would you rather have no winch or a winch that MIGHT let you down. If you can afford it then of course I suggest the Warn, it's a proven great winch. I loved the Warn that I used to have!

Warn isn't the only company that can make a winch. Just because it's got a cheapo name on it doesn't make it cheapo winch.

Also I won't wheel alone...

I am Not knocking you for the Brand or Price! I just know from ''useage'' warn WORKS, It does look pretty good for the money
and i have wheeled alone That's why i have the winch now! i had to leave the truck in the snow overnight. Walk 6 miles to get phone service and help, picked the winch up that night, got the truck out next Morning " Live And LEARN"!!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Again, I sing the praises of the Warn M8000, The best story, I had to go pull a Full size SCHOOL BUS! Yes, the driver needed to turn around in a field, the spot looked dry, but as you know, things aren't always as they seem... The only thing that broke was the Little brass piece that attach's the line to the drum. Everything else held together, and now I have a kickin story too... The bumper we used is home made, the frame will be the first thing to bend... 1/4" plates for mounts and tow points. The winch is recessed in where it pulls against a 3/8" plate. If you want plans or to know better how its all attached, just PM me.

I got a "Champion" winch from Sam's Club for $300. It worked fine (but slowly) the first time I used it (several weeks after mounting). I didn't use it for most of a year, and the next time I tried to use it (to move something in the back yard), it wouldn't turn. I used the time honored technique of taking it apart and puting it back together, and then it ran fine. I would have been pretty pi$$ed if I'd had to do that on the trail... I am seriously considering an upgrade.

I say warn all the way, I use the warn on my ATV the most and it has never failed me even submerged under water! The one on my XJ has never failed me either and I must admit i don't use it often (the last line of defence against being stuck). But i think with warn that the little extra cash you pay is worth every penny in piece of mind knowing that even if i haven't used it in months it will still get me out. Awsome insurance IMO.

Back