• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushwacker flares... ?

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
Are these bushwacker flares really worth the money? From what I am reading they actually reduce clearance inside the wells. As well I read / saw that the sliders can not work with the flares. In turn the flares need to be cut to allow for sliders.

It would seem that they only LOOK COOL, and perhaps make the big tires street Legal...? So ARE THERE ANY OTHER GUYS MAKING FLARES? is there some better option than these Buttwhackers?

I did some major trimming and installed my stock flares back on. I think it looks really good. I get good comments from other XJ guys at work. Didnt cost me a thing except cutting wheels.

ManBearPig said:
I did some major trimming and installed my stock flares back on. I think it looks really good. I get good comments from other XJ guys at work. Didnt cost me a thing except cutting wheels.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Got any pics. Post or pm either way would be kool. Bushwhackers tend to break easily, if is a DD and see's minor offroad there fine.

I havent had a problem with my bushwackers and i have been hard on mine. bounced them off of trees on tight trails. I have even had the whole jeep leaning on them.

WVUwheeler said:
I havent had a problem with my bushwackers and i have been hard on mine. bounced them off of trees on tight trails. I have even had the whole jeep leaning on them.
Yeah right,GOT PICS??Must be like from the movie "Money Pit","honey weve got weak trees"!

RCP Phx said:
Yeah right,GOT PICS??Must be like from the movie "Money Pit","honey weve got weak trees"!

it depends on how old his are. i hear they changed what they are made out of or something and the newer ones crack easy. the old ones were better. or so that's what I've read on here.

I bought them used from a fellow member of this fourm so i dont know exactly how old they were. But he had put some deep scratches in them from leaning on rocks.

WVUwheeler said:
I bought them used from a fellow member of this fourm so i dont know exactly how old they were. But he had put some deep scratches in them from leaning on rocks.

i would say they are the older ones, since you said you bounce them off trees and such. but i dont know.

probaly are older ones. But after seeing some of the abuse mine have been thru i support them. But im sure im in the minority on this one. I need them to stay legal and thats the only reason i run them in the first place and i really dont like the look of TJ flares so they were my best option.

WVUwheeler said:
probaly are older ones. But after seeing some of the abuse mine have been thru i support them. But im sure im in the minority on this one. I need them to stay legal and thats the only reason i run them in the first place and i really dont like the look of TJ flares so they were my best option.

yeah, if you have to have them to stay legal more power to you. i actually like them kinda. i like rear tj flares on all corners also. but to each his own.

i've shoved my bdubs up on some trees and they popped in and then back out... as far as clearance goes, yeah you lose some... especially in the front. but i have not really had a huge issue with it.
DSC01111.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

I dont have any shots of my tires tucked but they get up in the wells pretty well. I love mine. I might be trimming out the front plastic so I can get them even farther in there.

I have the rusty's flares and they flex but still break and the rivets are pulling through mine/but maybe they wernt installed right they were on it when I got it.

The topic of bushwackers seems to be a love/hate thing. I read a lot of people saying they ripped theirs off going through tight trails and such so when I got mine I too the bolts and went to the hardware store and got nuts to thread on the back side and I have not had a problem yet. I will say though, that if I didn't have the nuts on there that I'm sure they would have come off by now, I think that bushwacker doesn't expect people to run their flares through the paces like alot of people on this forum do. So do yourself a favor when you put them on and put the nuts on, it's a PITA but worth it in the long run.

Back