• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Gear set - need help with pattern

slabelle67

NAXJA Forum User
98 Chrysler 8.25 (29spline), yukon 4.56, detroit locker. The backlash is set at 10, and the pinion shim is .011. What do I need to do?

Also, when I put load on the carrier bearings the gears will sometimes lock up - or only spin in one direction. It has the screw type adjusters on it, and I doing something wrong, or could it be the set up bearings on the pinion binding up?

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

looks like everything is way too tight. try moving the pinion deeper into the ring gear. also double check backlash. also with those adjusters, make sure they are squarely set under the caps. if you get it just a tiny bit misaligned, it can bind things up on you. i used some grease to hold them in postion while i put the caps on.

First,what are the numbers?Everything needs to be in spec before you pull a pattern.Backlash is way out.Also add some oil to the marker to "loosen" it up!

What's your pinion preload set at?

The pinion is definitely way too shallow.

I know this cause I just went through all of this over the weekend.

Post up all your specs so we can properly help you.

Is that a cover bolt broken off in the housing? You shoulda drilled that out and re-tapped it before doing the set up.

Go a little deeper with the pinion and x2 on the cups being crossthreaded, they will mess with ya! If you buggered up the threads on the adjusters buy a thread file and clean them up good or just order some new ones. I get a new set for every 8.25 I do because when they were torqued down at the factory the caps tend to egg shape a little then its hard to get them to thread straight again. Randys R&P has them.

waxer said:
What's your pinion preload set at?
The pinion is definitely way too shallow.
I know this cause I just went through all of this over the weekend.
Post up all your specs so NAXJA can properly help you.
Now thats funny,fixed it for you.You were on all weekend trying to figure yours out!!

RCP Phx said:
Now thats funny,fixed it for you.You were on all weekend trying to figure yours out!!

haha yep. After all of that I feel like an expert.

I'd adjust the wrong way and then realize it, then adjust the proper way. So I got to see what worked and what didn't work.

I'll use my new found knowledge next weekend on the D44 gears.

I hope you bought Dana/Spicers for that one VS GWhines!

Thanks for the suggestions....I am going to pull the rear end out from under the jeep tonight and start over. I will post again when I am ready. I am starting to understand why most people pay someone else to do this :looney:

Ok, much easier working on it out of the rig. What do you guys think of these patterns? Pinion shim = .0032, Backlash = .009, pinion preload 24inlbs.

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

Back