• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shims and ubolt question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to shim my rear axle and need to know if I'll need longer ubolts because of the shim.The ubolts on there now are barely long enough without a shim.Will they be too short after the shim?
I am trying to get everything at the same time so I dont have to wait on parts....
Thanks!!!

Technically you should get new u-bolts every time you remove them. That said, if yours are in decent shape i wouldnt worry about replacing them. the shims are about 1/4" thick so if you have more than 1/4" of the u-bolt sticking out of the nut, you should be fine with the ones you have.
PS: Get steel shims that go under the center pin. They are more $$, harder to get and you will need new center pins but they are worth it.

Do they have shims where you dont have to remove the center pin, and that you can just place underneath the leaf pack? Or is all they have are the ones that you have to put in the leaf pack?

i ran 6 degree shims and had to get longer u bolts. i'd imagine you probably will too. get the steel shims that go in as part of the leaf pack bolted into the center pin.

They should come with new center bolts. I dont know what kind of springs you have but the stock ones use 5/16" center bolts and the shims will come with 3/8" center bolts because thats what RE springs use. find out what size center bolts you need before you order. If you need 5/16", you may be able to get them to send 5/16" bolts.

Back