• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lost dash light and radio, blowing fuse

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought another 93 xj and it has no dash lights or radio. it keeps blowing the fuse. i cant find any bad wires or anything does anyone have any idea where i should be looking?

Dash lights if you mean the gauge lights. I had the same problem kept blowing fuses. Turn out that the short for me was in the automatic shifter for the little light bulb so you can see Park Neutral Rev etc etc at night. Put a fuse in and turn your lights on and move the shifter a couple times to see if it blows. Hope this helps

I have seen this on my '89 XJ. Is it that everything that should come on when the ignition is on is not working? i.e. radio, turn signals. could be the ignition switch which is on top of the steering column under the dash. In my case, the fan blower was drawing to much current (bad resistor pack) and burning p the switch.

its all lights on the dash and radio. when i put a fuse in it today then pulled the switch for the lights on it blew. my headlights and everything still work.

Narfxj said:
Dash lights if you mean the gauge lights. I had the same problem kept blowing fuses. Turn out that the short for me was in the automatic shifter for the little light bulb so you can see Park Neutral Rev etc etc at night. Put a fuse in and turn your lights on and move the shifter a couple times to see if it blows. Hope this helps

I agree. I had the same issue the bulb was cooked into the socket. Removed the plug for it and VOILA no burned fuse.

guess i was wrong it didnt blow the fuse yesterday. the girl i got it from said it keeps blowing one but i cant find out which one. where can i find a fuse diagram? i'm guessing they pulled it and left it out. when i put my brights on the light comes on the dash same with the signals, and gas light works. just the lights that light up the speedo and stuff, radio and mayby lights for the shifter. i pulled the bulb in that and it looks all in tack.

i had the same problem, it was a loose connection to one of the switches ontop of thge colomn,a wire had fallen out check that out

Most common is the wiring near the shifter and radio (especially if it has an aftermarket radio).

Back