• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad is...

OFFRDR

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've noticed my jeep running quite rough lately...but last night, I accidently left my interior light on, so my battery was dead. I went to jump it, and I noticed that the cap to my oil tank was missing..so I just have an open hole there for anything to get in...I have yet to check to see how much oil is left in the car. It was recently at the shop and got a full oil change and all that stuff, but could that have anything to do with my jeep running really rough? I figured it shouldnt be THAT bad, since all the gunk and whatever will still go through the oil filter...And can you get those new oil cap things at like NAPA or Shucks or something?

Yep you should be able to get a cap anywhere, even junkyard if you don't wanna pay full price. I wouldn't think the cap being off would cause it to run rough, but then, if the shop left that off, who knows what else they did. I'd take it right back there with a frown and threats of a lawyer myself, that's BS and it needs to be addressed. I'd also consider reporting them to the Better Business Bureau!

Well, it's been several weeks since it was in the shop, so I don't know if they left it off or not, all I know is that I havent lifted the hood since I got it back, so they might have just not tightened it enough or something. But I'm about to head over to my friend's house to check to see how much oil is left in it.

You need your friend to help check the oil? Call up the local autozone and ask for a 710 cap and see if they know what you're talking about. :)

I wouldn't even start it without checking the oil. I don't know if leaving the cap off will throw all of the oil out but it will eventually throw out enough to severely damage the engine if you keep driving it. It will begin to run rough if low enough on oil.

Didn't happen to notice any oil covering the top of the enigne area did you?

You make me proud to be from Alaska..... Not...

ID
T

Good lord...I hope this is a joke :doh:

Naw, there was no oil covering the top of the engine, but I'm still running rough with more oil and a new cap..and my check engine light came on last night. And how am I such an idiot for having my oil cap call off when the last person to touch it was a mechanic...?

They could have pulled a vacuum hose or something off while fumbling around in there. Look around to see if anything is laying loose. In 37 years of driving I have been to one oil change place. It was in Florida while on vacation. It was a Ford Taurus with 4,000 miles on it. They came out to the waiting room with an obviously brand new air filter in hand and told me I needed a new one. I said just change the oil. Nothing more. When I got to brothers place a couple days later I decided to check under the hood. The air filter box cover was loose. I realized they tore the cover off instead of unclipping the latch type clips. It was sucking dirty air into the engine. Moral of the story..........screw the stupid bastards. DO IT YOURSELF. There are people out there that will also sabotage your stuff to make a buck. They love to prey on females most.

OFFRDR said:
Naw, there was no oil covering the top of the engine, but I'm still running rough with more oil and a new cap..and my check engine light came on last night. And how am I such an idiot for having my oil cap call off when the last person to touch it was a mechanic...?

What year is the Jeep? If it's a 96+ take it to Autozone and they'll pull the code for free for you.

First thing you should do if you don't do your own work on your vehicles, check the mechanics work either before you leave, or before you get too far. Probably just a careless mistake by whoever the person was who changed the oil, but had you checked it either before you left, or before you got too far, we wouldnt be here posting right now.

Even worse, once you did notice it, you continued to drive it.

Back