• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel line/injector question.

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
:wow: so im gettin a fuel/gas smell in the cab , intermittenly. popped the hood & injector #3 is wet. went to the auto store & picked up the rings for it. never worked on the rail system before. anything i need to be specificaly aware of when takin it off or putting it back on? like fuel pressure/ spray when removing etc. (im a smoker but wont be smokin while workin on this).
also it didnt look like i'd need any "special" tools to do this, just the regular/ordinary hand tools. (damn i wish i still had my air tools).

Just a couple of suggestions.
First, I'd change all of the injector o-rings while your at it.
Second, I'd check the leaking injector very closely to be sure the junction between the metal part of the injector and the top part is not leaking; on the Renix injectors, it's common for the injector body to leak.
Third, you may need the fuel line seals for the two disconnect fittings on the pressure and return lines. Check that out before you get into the project.
And, before you disconnect anything, relieve the fuel pressure on the rail by pushing in the stem of the pressure fitting on the rail; put a rag under the fitting to catch the gas.

I've done the o-rings on an 87 without disconnecting the fuel lines to the rail. You can do this if you're careful not to flex things too hard, and it will save you from having to replace the silly overpriced connector set, which will leak if you reuse it.

By all means do all the o-rings, because you're going to have to pull the whole rail off anyway. A little grease or oil on them helps them to go back together well.

Especially if this is a pre-91 Jeep with its original injectors, check very carefully that the injectors themselves are not leaking at the electrical connector. This is common on the early ones, and means you need a new injector, or better yet, a whole set of new injectors.

edited to add: I'm reading your posts out of order, so now I see yours is an 89. DO check the injectors for leakage at the electrical connector!

I replaced the injectors on my '90 laredo a couple of days ago. Two of the injectors were leaking at the seam where they go together. (The older injectors were a two-piece design. Just follow the advice of the previous posts. If it turns out to be the injector itself that's leaking, my advice is to replace all six injectors. (You can get new Bosch Design III "upgrade" injectors from "fivemotorsport" on Ebay for $162.49 for all six.)

To install new injectors or O-rings:

1. Vent gas from the fuel rail with the "bicycle valve" on the end.
2. Remove the bolts holding down the fuel rail to the intake manifold. (13mm I think)
3. On my '90 there is a small bracket which is part of the fuel rail assembly near the throttle cable--there are three or four torx screws here to remove. These are fun:laugh: .
4. There are little clips that hold the six fuel rail openings to each of the injectors. These can be slid away with a screwdriver or nettlenose pliers.
5. The electrical connector for each injectors has a "retaining spring" that must be removed before you unplug the elec. connector from each injector. I used a pocket knife.
6. Wiggle the fuel rail free with a rocking motion and do the same for the injectors. Do not twist on the injectors. Before re-installing the injectors carefully lube the o-rings with a little motor oil to make everthing slip back together easily.

If you're like me its easy to drop/lose small parts so be careful with retaining clips and springs. When you fire the engine up check for leaks:explosion . These newer injectors should bring new life to your engine and maybe even improve MPG.:sunshine:

Oh yeah---I almost forgot. I have read were other folks have mixed up the electrical connector order:cry: . 'Do' happens. So you might want to either label the electrical connectors in order or unplug/plug one injector at a time since the injectors have a firing sequence.

just got back home from wally's world. its bad. well i know that the whole "big bang" thing isnt good. i just wasnt sure if there was anything "extra special" about doing this job. normaly i have a haynes to refer to, but haventr had the chance to pick one up yet. when i did look online for a diagram of tearin it down i got nothing. im not a computer guy, im lucky to be able to get in here when i do.

thanks guys for the help, she had it running when i looked at it earlier & it was "puffin" from the lower seal (where it plugs into the block) not the electric plug. yes i was going to do all 6 plugs with new o-rings. the new injectors are $50 a piece from advanced auto, i just dont have that to spare right now. (or the $162.49 or a cc)(cash only)

of course i'll be doin them one at a time, made that misstake doin my plugs n wires a very long time ago.i learned my leason.

the presure fitting would be that knob between injectors #1 & #2 correct?
just dont want to be fudging anything up as this is our dd.

Last edited:
:wierd: ok i got the hood up & moved it to where i have some light (other than my maglite) the whole injector is soaked, from the rail to the enginge block. should i disconnect the battery first? dont want any stray spark if im takin off the electrical connector. or am i safe leavin the batery cables connected :explosion im not so sure about electrical parts & gas parts bein mixed like this.

so i have that (puny) light too?

ok got it off the jeep & in the house (gf gonna love me now lol). marked all the wires & injectors. tried to bleed it from the nozzle, got nothing. was taking it out & the bad injector (#3) spewed. didnt even get anything from the inlet or outlet hoses when i took those off. anyhow. on the way in the house from the porch i lost several of those metal clips that holds the electic cable onto the injector, is this a very bad thing or just a bad thing? i'll have her go to auto zone or advanced when they open & see if they have any in stock. but what can i use for now to keep this thing "properly" attatched? a well bent paper clip? damn workin in the cold & wet!!! fingers wont work right.

no, ductape & hot glue wont work. (neither will super glue).

Last edited:
The little retaining spring keeps the electrical plugs from backing off the injectors. If one comes off you suddenly have a dead cylinder. Not a good thing for safety reasons and for other reasons too. Dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust can kill your catalytic converter. (It gets hot, melts and plugs up real fast.) Maybe the plug will stay on and maybe not. Clean the area and when you're done apply some high temp form-a-gasket to the side of the connector/injector. Let it dry. Should hold the connector onto the fuel injector just fine.
BY THE WAY--STOP DRIVING THE JEEP UNTIL YOU FIX IT. GAS+HEAT= FIRE:flame:

Crawlin Critter, kewl didnt think of the blue goo trick.
and yes i know gas + heat = :flame:
just like gas + spark = :flame:

it only has to hold until i get off work tomorrow at 3 ( i start at 6:30)

Cracked-butt,
I don't know if this is an option for you but I got a set of mustang 5.0 injectors off of Ebay, even with overnight shipping I think I only paid 60 or 70 dollars. If this is an option for you look for someone with low mileage who is doing an upgrade such as turbo or nitrous ect. (a hint, I found that looking at what else the person was sellling was quite telling, ie new head, rails, ect showing that they are indeed upgrading and not just sellling of random crap)
anyhow the fuel injectors(even the new ones) are a two piece design and are destined to break down. so I went with the ford 19# because they are a one piece design with a four spray pattern vs. one hole on stock jeep 4.0
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=914093
this is my write up on what I did...
otherwise you may want to check out 5.0 motorsports, they have injectors for a good price.

it could be beneficial, but I do understand not everyone has the ability to "charge" things,
May check the local wreck yard for a wrecked mustang, crown vic ect. the young and dumb tend to wreck these quite easily.

and dont reuse the quick disconects on the fuel rail, they are not designed to be reused and can create a new leak source for you

ok got it all together , but all but 1 injector leaks now. the rail itself (at the ends) aint leakin, but all the darn injectors are. well now i gotta walk the 5 miles or so to work. maybe i'll be able to get this on the road again soon.

ok fixed most of the leakin injectors. they wasnt pushed in far enough in the intake manifold, duh. but now the original (#3) injector is leaking worse & #4 injector is leakin as bad too :helpme: .
short of goin to auto zone & getting 2 new injectors (at $50 a piece) any suggestions? ok i know someone will say go to a yard. i would, but not for something as important & neccesary as fuel injectors. (cant tell if they are any good in the yard). and im just a wee bit short in the wallet for new injectors at the moment.

thank you all for the help & suggestions.

oh & happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cracked-butt said:
ok fixed most of the leakin injectors. they wasnt pushed in far enough in the intake manifold, duh. but now the original (#3) injector is leaking worse & #4 injector is leakin as bad too :helpme: .
short of goin to auto zone & getting 2 new injectors (at $50 a piece) any suggestions? ok i know someone will say go to a yard. i would, but not for something as important & neccesary as fuel injectors. (cant tell if they are any good in the yard). and im just a wee bit short in the wallet for new injectors at the moment.

thank you all for the help & suggestions.

oh & happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the exact same thing. Had all 6 spewing gas. Check your O-rings again. You may have damaged them.

Back