• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints

I've done the search! Found the awsome write up!

Question is: What are the pros and cons of adjustable ball joints vs. regular ball joints?

I guess I don't understand the purpose of adj. ball joints. Can someone please explain. or point me in the right direction?

thanks, all

The purpose of adjustable ball joints is to correct alignment issues (caster, I think) that can't be handled with maintenance adjustments. If you've not had any caster problems up to now, there's no reason to get adjustable ball joints - just get the regular ones... I just did this job last month, so I've got a fair idea...

5-90

X2 on the regular ones. I went with some OEM Spicer brand ones that I got for a good price at discount jeep parts online. The originals went 120,000 miles so I figured I'd go that route again.

Adjustable Ball Joints can be a cool mod to help solve poor front pinion angle if you have more than 6" of lift. When you start lifting the XJ alot you will need to make the LCA's longer to keep the caster in spec to make it drive great going fast down the highway. As a result of correcting the caster the front pinion angle will suffer. The front differential pinion will start to point down away from the front TC output and you can get some vibes.

The Adjustable Ball Joints can give you a few extra degrees of caster adjustment without needing to make the LCA's longer and negatively affecting the front differential pinion angle. That's cool! But since I don't drive the highways alot in 4 hi I went with the regular route.

Cool mod if you need it but having to ensure the ball joint adjustment sleeves are adjusted just right seemed like a PITA unless you really need it. Have fun shopping for ball joints. If you go the adjustable route let us know how it goes installing them. I might go that route next time when I get 35's and need more lift. :laugh3:

They're not "easily adjustable" - you "clock" them for what correction you need when you install them. Chances are, if you need "adjustable" ball joints, you have bigger problems, and should just replace the axle - or at least rotate the knuckle yokes...

5-90

I just did this mess also, they also make adjustable sleeves for the earlier knuckles. That way you can replace balljoints with regular ones that are cheaper. THis only works for the early knuckles that have threaded inserts where the balljoints mount. The sleeves are much cheaper than an adjustable ball joint.

If you're mechanical inclinded it will be a piece of cake. Just make sure you invest in a ball joint press to make it so. Even if you can only afford to get a harbor freight one it's better that nothing.

My HF did the job once but bent doing it a second time. I ended up buying a Astro Pnumatic brand and it hasn't broke doing all kinds of jobs. The AP one is also smoother to operate than HF one was before it broke. If you gonna do it more than once get a quality tool to do it. Still cheaper than what a mechanic will charge you to do the job. Good luck and get er done!

A little OT but to do the front axle U-Joints on a '90 do I have to remove the knuckles? The only thing I've ever done U-Joints & ball joints was on a 2001 F550 w/a D80ish front axle.

No need to remove the knuckles to do the front axle u-joints. Just remove the sealed hub from the knuckle by removing the three 12 pointed bolts on the backside of the knuckle. The whole axle will come apart and slide out.

Back