• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks without a swaybar.

fiyerbirdie

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you without sway bars who do run on the street. What shocks are you running? Do you think that the shock selection helps "cover" for the lack of swaybar? How does spring stiffness factor into this?

I'm up just about four inches on skyjacker springs, no name shocks that are getting kinda rusty, and no swaybars. When I buy some new nicer shocks, I'd prefer not to find out that a diff shock makes my jeep unmanageable on the road.

Your thoughts????

Thats why I run Rancho 9000's.Dial them down for the trail,dial them up for the street.I run them on both my rigs now for 7 years!

Get a gas/nitrogen pressurized shock(Bilstein, fox, etc). Stay away from regular oil filled shocks (basic Ranchos, Procrap, etc) and you will be fine. I run bilsteins and only run a front sway because I got a killer deal on some JKS quickers. Ran it for months without and had no problems.

I run Bilsteins 7100 in front and 5150 out back 255/70 valving & no sway bars. It definately helped with reducing bodyroll & gaining control and stabilty when i switched form those crappy white things.

I've got old hand-me-down used Doestch Tech non-nitrogen charged shocks on the front, and OEM ones on the rear (raised rear shock mounts). With ~6"s of lift and it is fine on the highway/curvy two lane roads, but a corvette it is not. And I don't DD it.

I definately agree that shocks are key to running without sways. I run OME in front and rear. No sways and it's just fine. I never feel nervous on city roads or on the freeway. It is my DD from December to April.

Shocks arn't the key to running without swaybars it's spring rate. Some skyjacker springs are stiff (good) but you need to call them and find out how stiff. mattyj has the right shocks but if you go 7100 on front go a little higher on the valving on the front.

Daily drove it with no front swaybar (rear was still attached) and stock suspension with stock shocks for nearly a year. I found it to be a bit squirelly in a few situations, but not too bad overall..and I live in "some of the worst roads in the province".

Got tired of the bagged suspension so I recently swapped in a set of V8 coils, a small spacer and a BroncoII bastard pack for 2.5" of lift. I removed the rear swaybar while I was in there and used the hardware to make some BPE's for new shocks in the back.

I used the recommendations from Rocklizard's budget boost article:
I replaced the front shocks with new KYB GR-2's from an Up-country Grand Cherokee.
The rear shocks are still stock, but I have a set of new KYB GR-2's from a Commanche to swap into the back this afternoon.

Even with the stock rear shocks it feels great, and hugs the road alot better with the slightly stiffer springs and new shocks. I'm very happy with the handling.

No rear swaybar for me, and I drove without the front connected for almost two months (sheer laziness). RE 3.5" springs and el-cheapo Doesch Tech shocks (firm!!!!). I drive a winding back road every day going to work, and even without the swaybar I'm catching cars on it and playing with sports cars. There's only one turn I needed to slow down for without the swaybars. My XJ is fairly light, but gaining weight. roof rack, hitch, rock rails, a couple skids. The RE leaves have always been fairly stiff and combined with the stiff Doesch Tech shocks, it was suprisingly stable. Even at 85mph on the highway.

mine is not a dd should i take it off. will it flex alot more without the sb. 4.5 lift and no quick disconnects.

I took off both of the swaybars. I'm running ZJ coils in the front, and an s10 bastard pack in the rear. I raised the shock mounts, and use worn out OEM shocks... It's my DD, and it's just fine for me.

bcmaxx said:
what do they call an up-country in canadian?
Ugh,"Broke Back Mountain".:guitar:

Back