• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Budget rebuild After blown head gasket

cgmrdc

NAXJA Forum User
well heres the skinny. 89 xj 4.0/aw4/242 lifted blah blah

Jeep has 155k but engine that i put in this summer 115k, came out of a roll over...

overheated while pulling friends 1500 out of the woods...

two weeks later.........

started it the other morning and loud knocking coming from inside engine... drained oil... milky and DARK, oil change was only three weeks old... removed one rod bearing... shot! most likely source of noise... heres what i plan to do:

new rings
head gasket... and all the other stuff that comes in the big set
oil plan gasket, one peice rubber
RMS
rod bearings
HV oil pump
machine crank
hone cylinders
check head plane for cracks and straightness

havnt gotten a price on crank and head but everything else is right at $200... not too bad... am i leaving anything else out?

heres the local thread that has the initial diagnosis and some pics
http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12960&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Kind of depends on what shape everything else was in, but I think you have it pretty well covered, assuming your engine was in decent shape before the gasket blew. Since you're talking about machining the crank, I am assuming that the omission of new main bearings from your list is just an oversight. Just about anything else could be done separately at another time anyway.

If the engine was worked hard hot, check carefully for cracked or collapsed pistons.

If you're gonna go thru putting in new rings, and machining the crank, getting the cyls honed, you might as well get a new piston set and rebuild the rods. Also make sure the block deck is flat too.

I guess this would turn your budge rebuild into more of a full rebuild, but I just hate it when problems arise when I start to cut costs on my rebuilds.

If you wanna go cheap, then really go cheap and eliminate some stuff on your list that you can salvage. If you're gonna "almost" do a full rebuild, you might as well go all the way.

looks like ya got it covered. but as stated before do the whole thing or just drop a "new" (to you) engine in it. which ever would be the least expensive for ya.

Back