• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MD-3 Transmission Fluid for XJ AutoTranny?

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently running Chevron MD-3 Transmission Fluid in my 1992 Jeep Cherokee. Is this the correct fluid? Also, are there any negative effects if this was mixed accidently with an ATF-3 Tranny fluid?

Thanks!

Quills said:
I am currently running Chevron MD-3 Transmission Fluid in my 1992 Jeep Cherokee. Is this the correct fluid? Also, are there any negative effects if this was mixed accidently with an ATF-3 Tranny fluid?

Thanks!

1) What transmission have you? The three-speed will likely be the 32RE or 34RE, which is a Chrysler box (and wants Chrysler fluid, like ATF +3/+4) If it's a four-speed, it's an AW4 - which wants Dexron II/IIE/III, and really doesn't like the Chrysler stuff.

2) What are the specs on the fluid? It should be on the bottle - check. Refer to (1), above, for information on what to use in which slushbox.

I beleive that I have the AW4 because I have overdrive and I can shift from Drive 1-2, 3, and regular Drive. The bottle's specs says that it is for all applications that call for the former DEXRON-III H and MERCON fluids and for Allison C-4 fluids. What this exactly means, I don't know.

I've used the Mobile variety on occasion with no ill affects I've ever noticed.

The MD3 fluid is what Crystler and Valvoline recomend for the AW4. Valvoline sent out a bulliten a few years ago to clarify that the AW4 takes MD3 while other chystler transmissions are ATF+4. MD3 is perfectly fine, I would make a point of letting any one servicing your trans know that it takes MD3 because it seems to be a point of confusion for a lot of shops.

I don't know of any xj coming with a 3 speed Chryco after the '87 break. You definately have an AW4.

I bet MD stands for Merc/Dex....

sorry, i'm sure thats obvious....

I'd say you're fine running that. Probably better than running ATF+4.

I noticed the change in name of the Chevron DexronIII fluid recently. I usually buy the large case of fluid at Costco. I think its the same as the old fluid. I am running it now (over a year) and have no problems with it.

Back