• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing remote start on '97 - which gray wire for tach??

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
I'm almost done installing a Code Alarm remote start on my wife's XJ. The only wires I have left are the tach, neutral safety and the ignition. I have a few questions about these.

1) I know the tach is in the black harness at the PCM - I know it's gray. The problem is that I have two gray wires (actually 4, but the other two have colored markers). Is it possible that either would work? I have no way to test right now b/c there are wires and crap hanging out everywhere.

2) I haven't seen a write-up or diagram yet that mentions the NSS wire. I don't know if Code Alarm is the only company that wants this connection or not. I do know where the NSS is and where the harness is under the hood, but it'd be one more PITA connection to do, not to mention I'm not sure which wire to hook up to. Do you think this connection is necessary? I know why they'd want it, but realistically, the Jeep isn't going to start if it's in gear anyway.....that's the NSS's job (and sometimes even when it's NOT in gear....). If I absoultely have to have it, is there another wire somewhere inside? Or at the PCM?

3)The ignition wire says that there is a "key-side" and "starter-side". Now, every wire up to this point, I've just T'd into and soldered on. Is this the only wire I should actually have to cut? I don't see any other way that I could get a "key-side" and "starter-side" unless I cut it, but I don't want to do that and mess something up, have to butt connect back together, etc. AND, in normal starting w/ the key, does the signal just pass through the remote start as if it weren't there?

Back