• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for new suspension parts

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I finally have a little extra $ to put into my 96 cherokee. Its pretty much stock but I want to put a little money into the front end. Upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, new track bar, etc. Ill also be replacing the u joints and ball joints while im in there. A few questions: Should I keep the stock upper and lower arms and just buy new bushings or buy new arms? Mine now are in good shape, i just didn't know if the reproductions were made from melted down beer cans. Should I look for rubber or poly bushings? Like I said, its pretty much stock and Im not changing that as of now, im just looking to improve the ride quality a little bit. Any brands that I should avoid? I was looking at going through quadratec, I have not had any issues with them before. Any info or insight is appreciated, I would rather ask here first instead of installing new parts and then realizing that I should have used other parts. I did that with a water pump on my XJ once and then 3,000 miles later I realized that I needed to man up and spend 100+ on a good one

Thanks for your help

What are your future plans fo the jeep? I know you said its pretty much stock. As far as stock type parts my choice is always moog and spicer. Are you planning to lift in the futre? You could replace your lower arms with adjustables know. I believe most of then can go down to stock lenght (some one please correct me if I am wrong) Or just replacing the factory bushing is still agood idea as it will tighten up your front end. Rubber will give you a softer ride and poly will give you a harsher ride. Hope that helped out alittle.

www.jeepinoutfitters.com has better pricing and service than Quadratec and 4WD.com

I'd go with rubber...poly squeeks a lot and is pretty stiff...

do you have any lift at all? more info...

Great info so far thank you. I have replaced some of the parts on the jeep but they have been stock or the equivalent (shocks, etc). As of now the jeep will not be lifted. If I do end up lifting it, it won't be for awhile. So for now Ill just be looking for "stock" parts to improve the ride quality. I put new monroe sensa-tracs on it, the ride is still a little too rigid.

X2 on the rubber verses poly. Rubber is going to be your best bet as far as ride quality and quietness goes. Actually the factory arms with rubber bushings is about the best ride combo you're going to get. I wouldnt bother pressing in new bushings, I'll bet if you ask around here and other Jeep sites, you can find a pair of XJ, TJ or ZJ control arms in near perfect condition for free to really cheap. Ive still got my stock CAs laying around but mines a 96 with 135000 miles so it wont be much of an improvement.

even so, i think new stock control arms are only about $20 with the bushings already pressed in them...

Back