• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock t-case skid problem

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
NAXJA Member
So I get a stock t-case skid for a np242 from a buddy he got off a 86-87 XJ to put on my 90 that also has a np242 and it does'nt seem to clear by about 1-2". So I put a bolt as a spacer at the frame rail (where only one bolt goes) and it clears now but by just millimeters, if not it's even resting on it. Does it sound like it's for a np231 or did I forget something?

is your tranny mount maybe really worn out?

have'nt thought of that, vehicle does have 200k on it.

yeah..if that tranny mount is shot, it will make your TC sit closer to that skid....

Does the skid have a "step" in it?
Ignore the front skid but look at the t-case skid. See the vertical step or line in the center part of the skid just to the right of the wrench, a 231 specific skid wont have that step. On the later year XJs, they all used the 242 skid but on the earlier years they had two different skids.
DSCF0974.jpg

yeah, got the step. funny you got that broken wrench there, it was the only way I could tighten the bolts "inside" the crossmember

paulhead said:
yeah, got the step. funny you got that broken wrench there, it was the only way I could tighten the bolts "inside" the crossmember

I cut that wrench off specifically for that reason. Think Craftsman will warranty it ;);)
Back to your issue. Do you have a t-case drop? Is your crossmember bent upward?

no and no. someone else today (2 people in fact) also suggested tranny mount.

tcase001.jpg

used 9/16 bolt to create enough space to clear the t-case

tcase002.jpg

maybe a millimeter clearance. better than jamming the t-case into a rock. gonna pull the crossmember and see what I got going on.

paulhead said:
no and no. someone else today (2 people in fact) also suggested tranny mount.

Grab the t-case and give it a good manly shake up and down and side to side to check how much play is in the mount. It should have some resistance in it (ie: feel solid) and not move more than an inch or so at the tail of the t-case.

EDIT: Looking at the pics, I have a thought. Could be the drivers side motor mount also. If that motor mount is worn, itll let the engine/tranny/t-case sag to the drivers side.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Finally got around to change out the tranny mount and the old one was'nt broke but flattened/worn out. It was about 1.5" shorter than the new one, which in turn, when I was all done gave the same amount of clearance to the T-case and skid. Thanx for the help.

Back