• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting ready for a trip

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so hear is our story. Recently my Girlfriend and I have decieded to up and leave Chicago for an extended period of time and our first destination this winter is going to be the one and only Moad, UT via stopping through Denver, Co for a while and then maybe up to the Ogden area outside of SLC after awhile in Moab. Our question to everyone is this, what would you do to get your rig ready for the trek? Chi. to Den. is 1000 miles and Den. to Moab is about 450 miles. So in round figures call it 1500 miles Please let us know what your checklist would be if you
were going to be doing this yourself. So far I have done the following. Thanks for the help tim and camille.

:change oil regularly
:cap & rotor.plugs, and wires (within the last year)
:replaced front hubs
:replaced front axel u-joints
:replaced front pumpkin drive shaft u-joint
:rebuilt rear drive shaft (within the last year)
:new radiator (within the last year)
:new upper radiator hose(same time as radiator)
:new alternator (within the last year)
:replacer head gasket (within the last year)
:replaced stock exhaust and intake with K&N and tube up front, and Flowmaster cat back.
:Newer brakes
:new master cylinder and clutch (within the last year)(seems the be losing presure at the pedel lately)

I have yet to do my serpintine belt and rear pumpkin u-joint but i have the parts just havent had the time.

specs:
93 jeep cherokee
207,500 miles
5 spd w/ 3:07 gears
4x4
dana 30/chrysler 8 1/4
NP231 TC w/ a porc HD sye
Retubed & lengthened 92 auto CV front drive shaft (my rear drive shaft)
31x10.5R15 BFG MT
15x8 crager rims w/ 4.00 BS
RE 6130 4.5 full leaf spring lift
flowmaster catback exhaust
K&N 4.5" cone w/ rusty air tube
porc hd sye
.75 coil isolators
hurst short throw shifter

Im figuring that I get about 13-15 mpg with my current set-up. Im looking to maybe get a little better gas mileage as we all are, and give the rig a really good once over before the trip

SNOW COUNTRY, chains for sure, you may be restricted from using some roads without them. Survival supplies for 2-3 days in the event of breakdowns. A full tune up, plugs, wires, cap rotor. Others will chime in. Might want to carry a couple of 5 gallon jugs, one for gas and one for water JIC.

drove from CALI to FL and back no probs. sounds like you got a lot done. I'd recommend bringing an extra belt and hoses and fluids. I'd check your plugs after the long part of your trip. Mine were looking pretty nasty on my return trip.

I live in Colorado above 8000 feet and I don't own chains. You won't need them and if you do then get a hotel and go on horizontal hold.

You said oil change so I assume you mean all fluids too like the diffs and tranfer case.

Do you have a CB? Cell towers can be far and few between in some places. I always carry a couple of Army fartsacks in case we break. I also have a MSR firefly stove. I travel like I'm backpacking and prepared to spend the night in the truck.

When you change the belt of course check all the other hoses.

since you said your clutch is questionable do your self a favor and look for any sighn that the plastic clutch hose is melting or damaged it runs pretty close to the exhaust manifold and mine melted twice

Thanks for the replies everyone. If we break down we will deffinitly be pre-paired to spend the night in the truck. it will be fully loaded with all of my gear. Including a stove, 2 sleeping bags,wool blankets,msr stove,dehidrated food,CB,jumper cables,craftsman 100+ tool set,hi-lift and bumper lift and base plate,extra gas,water,dog... ect. As far as the reposting. I asked for my original post to be moved b/c I posted in the wrong section prevously and I dont think it ever got moved or deleted.

To anyone who lives in snow country!

I have BFG MT tires on my rig.... are we going to die while making our way from Denver to Moab? I checked the specs on the tire for light snow they got a 8.3 for heavy snow a 8.8 and a 6.9 for ice out 10. I am looking into snow chains as well. I want to see what BFG recomends before I buy them and I want to do more research on which pattern pervides the best traction.

as far as getting better gas mileage is concerned 55mph is your friend.Drafting 18 wheelers helps alot also but do so cautiously.....you have cruise control?Get behind a semi and set the cruise....

yeah no cruse control here. how close do you have to be to the truck for drifting to be effective?....dosent really seem that safe tho.

xj_toker said:
yeah no cruse control here. how close do you have to be to the truck for drifting to be effective?....dosent really seem that safe tho.

If you're going to do this let the trucker know since you have a CB (they are usually on CH. 19). Some don't have a problem with it, some do.

put smaller tires on it.

31's and stock gearing will suck going up step inclines/mountain roads with it loaded up with gear.

I averaged about 21mpg during a 240 mile round trip a few months ago drafting semis the whole way at 55mph.....be careful and alert and dont follow TOO close!!!

save for gas!!! I just drove to nyc and back. 750miles each way. I have 33's and 355 gears which might be my problem, and i averaged around 85-90mph. Needless to say my average was 120miles per tank. Drive slow unless you are ready to stop alot.

I did a similar trip in september. Started in Ottawa Canada down to Denver, Estes Parl, Moab, Ouray, Colorado Springs and back. 8000KM total.

For all the highway, I was going slow to save on gas. Once in Moab, we tried to do the easy trail so not to do any damage. Mak sure your jeep is in order and you should be fine. When we stop for the night on the way, we tied go go in motel because it was sot much faster in and out. One in Moab we stayed at a campgroung in a cabin.

see our video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ITj6w1Rg_gg

thanks for the replys everyone. If i do draft I will tell the trucker beforehand but I dont think I will be doing much of that. As for the tire size im stuck with my 31's for the drive. thanks for the help again and keep the good ideas comen. tim

Back