• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj

mgt

NAXJA Member #653
someone was askind me about a 89 xj 2 door for 1500. I don't know enough about the older xj's. Are the trannies a peugeut or other ? What to look for on that year.

I have an 89.. AW4 Auto tranny. I think the AX15 was available but not sure. A tourque flight 999 found its way into the mix somewhere. All XJ's of this year have 21 spline outputs if I remember correctly. SO thats not good. Vacuum disconnect was there. I got kucky I got a Limited with a 242 so I had a 1 piece axle. It was also the RENIX system. It has it's good and bad points. Higher tourqe at lower RPM's and endless issues that may or may not happen all at once or a little at a time. Or not at all.

If it's a 4.0 with an automatic then it's probably a Peugot. The RENIX motors are a bit quirky as Gunner said, but they will run for ever with a bit of TLC. I've got 176K on my '89 and it runs like a champ. I chage the oil/oil filter every 2500 to 3000 miles and tune it up once a year. Depending on the condition $1500 is a decent price. Also there are no Limited Sports there are Limiteds and there are Sports.

There were three transmissions used behind the 4.0 in 1989...

Automatics were AW4 Aisin-Warner four-speeds (three + overdrive.)
Early 1989's used the Peugeot BA-10/5 five-speed (four + overdrive)
Later 1989 (AUG1989 and later, I think) got the Aisin AX-15 five-speed (four + overdrive.)

Easy way to tell? Get under the thing and check the transmission case - if it has a longwise split, it's the Peugeot. The Aisin will have an intermedate plate, as well as a "forward gear case" and a "rear adapter case" - it will look like two sleeves bolted to an intermediate plate in the middle, and parting lines will be crosswise.

I think there are pix of both boxes online - you might want to start looking at Jeepin.com, I think, for tranny pix (unless someone here can give a better source...)

5-90

Cutoff was more like April, but verification is simple enough by crawling underneath.

Back