• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help! low idle, high mileage

ttrider

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 97' xj with 4.0 and 5spd trans
it has a little over 200,000 and for about 4 days now, it has had a very low idle and sometimes cuts off completely
i haven't noticed a big power loss but i can tell it has lost some..
i'm thinking the engine just might be worn out, i haven't checked the compression yet but it seems like the engine is just giving out.

Any tips? thanks a lot

Most likely clogged IAC orifice. Pull, clean, and lubricate IAC. Spray carb cleaner into orifice area with IAC removed. Swab out with Qtips and repeat.

At that many miles, run a can of BG44k fuel system cleaner. It will clean out any crud in the injectors. I ran a can every 10k miles.

ok..i'll be going by the parts store in a minute when i go to lunch and i'm gonna get them to run the codes while they're at it because the check engine light just came on too

thanks for the help

Ditto the IAC port/orifice. But, when was the last time it got a tune-up and O2 sensor? At least the codes will help you a lot more than us Renix drivers!

Back