• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple simple ones while still in progress

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Still peicing things together here. Bought the RE 3.5"SR, along with monotubes. I know all about SYEs, as I have vibes and its still stock. Planning on the PORC. Just have a few questions while still gathering.

Simple ones...

A 2000 XJ (AW4, 231, 8.25")...

With a PORC SYE...an XJ(AW4, 231) front driveshaft, needs no modification to work with a 3.5" lift?

With a RE 3.5", will it need any shims for the back axle to re-align pinion angle?

And one TOUGHY!!! (Kinda two...)

I've been reading about the SYE, and I kind of feel something is left out. Once you pop the back half of the case off, the main shaft just...pulls out? (Once the chain is off of course :sunshine: ) The front end rests in a bearing or something I assume? Also...My XJ has 179,000KM on it, should I replace the chain while I'm in there?

woot all help appreciated of course...thanks!

I got the same lift, and my AW4 front driveshaft was just enough to work (although I'd feel more comfortable with something 2-3 inches longer).

You'll probably need about 3 degree shims...although thats just pure guessing you need to measure and look for yourself.

There's a whole write-up for the SYE install and I'm sure the kit came with directions. If I find the link I'll post it up.

It wouldn't hurt to replace the chain so you don't have to get into it again for a while, but you won't know until you're into it.

the front shaft from an auto will be long enough. i run an auto front ds on my ax-15/231/8.25 combo at aabout 5". if it was extended an further, i'd get it lengthened but its held up fine for over a year. the ax-15 is shorter than the aw4 so if it fits mine, you'll be all set.

I just got done with installing the RE 3.5 AAL on my auto equipped 2000. What none of the distributors mentioned is that the 97 up XJ's require the transfercase drop. I had a horrible binding (?) and driveline shake after installing the lift w/o the drop. After I installed the 1" drop (mine came from Rusty's but get yours elsewhere - these will work but are ugly, rough cast aluminum that look nothing like the pictures) the binding/shimmy went completely away and I have only the slightest vibration at highway speeds. I have 3 deg shims that should correct that. I decided to go the $40 (drop brackets/aluminum shims) route as opposed to the $600 route (SYE and new driveshaft). Good call on the monotubes. I went with the twin tubes and there isn't much give there. As soon as I can justify another new set of shocks, a set of Bilsteins are going in.

Oh yeah, use plenty of PB blaster on the rear shock bolts and TC mount bolts. You might want to get the bar pin eliminators for the rear shocks as well.

Nice.

One last one...

Does anyone know if the PORC SYE comes with the straps or u-bolts to bolt the shaft to the yoke?

as far as i know, you re-use your straps....never seen an SYE that comes with u-bolts....

Vanquish said:
Nice.

One last one...

Does anyone know if the PORC SYE comes with the straps or u-bolts to bolt the shaft to the yoke?

No it does not. I just installed one and you reuse your stock ones. as far as the shaft "just sliding out", well, it is not quite that simple. You have to take of a few c-clips, but for the most part, it is a very simple job. Even easier if you take the t-case out. I did not have to add shims after the SYE and I am vibe free at 6.5" of lift.

extended shackles will also help tip your pinion up....so like XJ&TJ4ME said, you may or may not need shims....

Back