• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harmonic balencer rubbing

pataterchip

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever had a problem with the balencer rubbing on the timeing chain cover, I haven't taken it apart but clearly it has rubbed the cover is that possible and how does that happen and how do I fix... any help appreciated!

the rubber damper between the inner and outer sections of the pulley wears out and the outer starts to walk, replace the pulley and you'll be set provided it hasn't chewed through the cover yet.

Eventually it will chew through. Spend $60 on a new one and change it out. Took me an hour to do. Mine went the other way though, and rolled down the road in front of me one day. All I needed was a pulley remover and a breaker bar & socket. Your going to need something to hold the motor to tighten it back up. I used a ratchet strap on one of the pulleys spokes to hold it.

Remove nothing else, only loosen up the belt to get it outta the way.

Inspect your cover closely for spots where it might have rubbed thru.

The pan doesn't have to come off. You can get the balancer out without removing the radiator, although the extra room is nice. I've done two without pulling the rad. The bolt on the balancer puller I got from Napa was too long to do this, but I had another shorter bolt that worked. The seal I mentioned goes in the timing cover. You'll see it once you pull the balancer.

Back