• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine/tranny compatible?

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a 96 sport 5 speed manual that I "jammed" a 90 I6 into (casting said 89) since then after a few mins of driving sometimes the clutch sticks and grinds, stops if i press the clutch again almost like it refuses to disengage.......:bawl:

my question is are these two compatible? or am I screwed, figured maybe I just put them together a little skewed (shifts smooth otherwise)

Thanks in advance

Doug

ps engine was originally attatched to an automatic if that helps

What did you use for the pilot bearing?

When I replaced my 96 engine with a 99 out of an automatic, I had to pull the adapter off the 96 crank and put it in the 99 crank.

There is no reason why it won't work.

I believe I used the pilot bearing for a 96 ....so I should get one for a 90? would that just slide on or is there other issues? I bled the clutch and all that, how bad (besides noise) would it be to drive it like this Until I get it fixed.

H8PVMT said:
I believe I used the pilot bearing for a 96 ....so I should get one for a 90? would that just slide on or is there other issues? I bled the clutch and all that, how bad (besides noise) would it be to drive it like this Until I get it fixed.
The pilot bearing should fit tightly into the end of the crankshaft on the engine (takes some force to seat it) and should also fit the front shaft of the transmission. If you don't have the right one or if there is not one at all, you will probably damage the transmission driving it that way.

The bearing fit fine into the engine (with some force) and it was the one that came with the clutch and we slid it on and off the tranny a couple of times. when I "met" the engine/tranny together I basically stepped down the bolts connecting them, could I have just mis-aligned them causing a bad angle? AAMCO said they would inspect it all for 350, just want to know what the probables are so I dont get taken.

Back