• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adhesive residue removal

jimliston

NAXJA Forum User
I have removed the black rubber accent strips from the chine line near the bottom of the doors and rear quarter panels. I plan to use the "rhino liner in a can" to black out from the chine down. I will look pretty cool. How do I get the adhesive off the body?

well WD40 works to get the adhesive off the paint without ruining the paint, but you will need to wash it afterwards.. Take WD40 and a paper towel and rub the adhesive off... should take a bit of elbow grease to get it all done.. Safer than acetone...

I have the same question!

I've tried every thing including acetone the problem is the getting the tape off once that is gone the goo comes off pretty easy.

I spent about an hour to get 3 inches off.

I just ended up Rhino lining over mine... it was all going black anyways... hell, even added more texture

I removed the same trim panels, on a 2001, which had a double sided tape type adhesive. To remove the adhesive, I went to a local auto paint supply and purchased a trim/adhesive removal wheel. I had used a 3m product in the past, but the local shop had an Astro brand wheel for half the price. Works very well, with the use of a standard drill. It is made from a product that feels much like an eraser. As I recall, the wheels were about $20 each.

I gave up taking the pinstriping on my '85 cause I couldn't get the residue off. I got the pinstriping off the front right fender, and the hood, but nothing i try can get the adhesive off. WD40 tomorrow.....

bigerich said:
I removed the same trim panels, on a 2001, which had a double sided tape type adhesive. To remove the adhesive, I went to a local auto paint supply and purchased a trim/adhesive removal wheel. I had used a 3m product in the past, but the local shop had an Astro brand wheel for half the price. Works very well, with the use of a standard drill. It is made from a product that feels much like an eraser. As I recall, the wheels were about $20 each.
Thanks great Idea.
Howmany wheels did it take you?

Goo Gone

477112_l.jpg

i spent about 3 hours with a flathead screwdriver and got both sides done, then i sanded it all done with a sanding block and layed down some primer and sanded all over again, came out awesome!

X2 on the removal wheel took one wheel and about 20 mins or so for mine...

bigerich said:

85xj4dr said:
Goo gone don't work for sh!t on the pinstrioping either. first thing i tried too.

Dang, I have had nothing but success with it. Though I have never tried removing the pin striping. I could see where it would struggle on gnarly stuff.

Goo Gone, Goof Off, etc have all worked well for me in the past.

heat helps alot.

Got a eraser wheel today from my friendly neighborhood auto paint supplier. Worked great took about 20 minutes and you can't tell there was ever any tape or glue there at all.

Thanks for al the advise.

Eraser wheel, huh? Gotta keep that in mind. I was gonna do the same thing on the trail rig.

corbinafly said:
Eraser wheel, huh? Gotta keep that in mind. I was gonna do the same thing on the trail rig.

Worked great I could do about a dozen mor ewith the same wheel cost me $32.00 well worth itparty1: :yelclap: :clap:

Back