• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My $25 dollar intake writeup

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So here is my first writeup ever, take it easy on me. Just finished up on a little project I started earlier today. A couple years ago I bought a used intake that was for my buddy's Honda Accord. I figured I could build my own... So I cut it half with a hack saw and zip tied it into place sitting in the empty stock box. Today I decided to remove the box and build some brackets.

I started out with some 3/4" flat aluminum and bent it to where I wanted the braces to be. I used self tappers and secured them into the wheel well.

I then drilled 2 small holes in the intake and secured the intake tube to the brackets.

Tightened everything up and slipped the filter back on (yes I need a new one) and took it out for a ride.

Final product:

:flame: away

MG2000XJ said:
:flame: away

So you've gone from sucking cold air via the factory intake to sucking warm air from the engine bay?

(it looks good, but you did tell me to flame you.)

(you really should build a cold air shield though.)

I will for sure, this is just what Ive got so far. I would like to build one that has the rubber seal that contacts the hood. Any ideas on the air shield would be great. I havent really thought about how I will do this yet.

I've always thought the stock airbox did a pretty good job. :)

After your engine has run for a bit, touch that aluminum piece- it will likely be much hotter than you would like. I did the same thing on my Mitsubishi when I owned it- looked cool and did nothing but keep my engine bay cooler by sucking in all the hot air, especially so close to the manifold.
Perhaps shielding and venting the hood with that setup will work for you though.

I think thats a great start to a cheap air intake. Build yourself a box around it so it's getting outside air instead of engine bay heat and your golden!

I like it!

people keep throwing around the c-word.... how is this cheaper then the stock airbox you had before? it may be cheaper then buying an AEM, but it doesnt live up, performance wise.... i guess this makes me look like a hypocrit as well, as ive got a modified k&n cone in my stock airbox....

Anyone ever run the whole air box from a F150 with the 4.6L around the 1998 year, My parents own one and it has a stock cone filter in a nice box that protects well.

Here is a pic in a wrangler with a V8 swap but it gives the idea
IMG_0678_small.JPG

The filter looks like this
e-0945.jpg

Set up will work similar to GoJeeps found here
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAirFilter.htm

Its just a project. Honestly I dont know much when it comes to engines but Im slowly learning. Trial and error, Ill try something and if I can keep improving upon the original idea than thats what I will do. Thats where you guys come in with the tips and tricks that you all have already learned yourselves. Thanks for the compliments and tips. Xcm, what I meant by cheap is cheaper than buying an aftermarket intake like you said.

Back