• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knocking in my Head......

MilfdiverXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 93 XJ sport and this morning I was warming it up and heard a knocking coming from motor. I turned the motor off and checked the oil and found some pretty dirty oil and some kind of sludge that was an orangish color. Does anyone have an idea of where I should begin to diagnose and possiable fix this problem??? HELP ME PLEASE

Is it foamy or milky lookin? Sounds to me like a head gasket. Has the motor had well water mixed with the antifreeze?

MilfdiverXJ said:
So I have a 93 XJ sport and this morning I was warming it up and heard a knocking coming from motor. I turned the motor off and checked the oil and found some pretty dirty oil and some kind of sludge that was an orangish color. Does anyone have an idea of where I should begin to diagnose and possiable fix this problem??? HELP ME PLEASE

first, drain your oil and toss your filter. install new filter, new oil and let it warm up and circulate. Next, drain this oil, toss the filter. You've just flushed it a little. Now, run a top cylinder lube like Lucas or BG44K along with new oil and filter. Run that for a week and repeat. Might sound expensive and excessive, but it's cheaper than an overhaul. When was the last time you changed the oil?

I'm betting on the orange being rust. Are you running straight water or antifreeze? I'm with Indy on the headgasket as well. Honestly though, you still need to flush the crud out of your block before you tear into the head. You might want to consider flushing the rad too. Clean fluid's make a helluva difference when it comes to diagnosis.

I second that...

Bored400 said:
I'm betting on the orange being rust. Are you running straight water or antifreeze? I'm with Indy on the headgasket as well. Honestly though, you still need to flush the crud out of your block before you tear into the head. You might want to consider flushing the rad too. Clean fluid's make a helluva difference when it comes to diagnosis.

id do all of the above and one more thing.... irontight ceramic sealant in the rad to fix the head gasket problem.

well i dont know if you have a lordco or napa near you but one of those will have it. dosent always work but worth a try. saves pulling apart your heads.. witch is never fun

Please do not add any of the "additives" to stop a coolant (or any type for that matter) leak. They often do more harm than good...in fact, i've seen products like stop leak actually stop the entire damn cooling system on a vehicle.

If you're going to fix it, fix it right the first time. May not be convenient or cheap at the time, but you will save yourself a lot of headache and money down the line, and you'll have a happy Jeep :)

It's not that hard just time consuming. The actual taking apart is easy but putting the intake and exhaust back on is easier with 2 sets of hands. If you are going to do it yourself try to have some one help you who has done it before. Try to find a NAXJA member that is in your area.

good luck.

Back