• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

injecter cleaner

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
do any of you know if any of those injecter cleaners out there work or are the bad or what?

BG44k

another way to clean injectors find a repair shop with fuel injection cleaning machine they disable fuel pump hookup a can of pressurized fuel injection cleaner an run the engine until can is empty cost a few bucks but it works really well

only ill effects are felt by the oil companies. The Lucas helped my gas mileage a bit. Cant say exactly by how much but it works.

Yup. Bricks do not cut through the air that well. There are a whole crap load of threads if ya do a search for them about gas mileage. In the ones I have read I think the lowest I saw was like 7mpg and the highest was like 25-26 mpg. Me I am more on the lower side, about 10-12 or so.

I get just over 25mpg on a strictly highway trip, but you gotta realise that with the imperial/metric conversion that's probably around 21-22mpg for you guys south of the border.
I usually just run a bottle of STP concentrated injector cleaner through the gas every now and again, but I'd like to try something like the Lucas or BG44k. The first time I ran the injector cleaner through I noticed a big difference, since then not so much but I figure it can't hurt--and at a couple bucks a bottle, once a month treatments aren't going to hurt the bank too much.

There is a pretty interesting thread from five years ago where a chemist did some comparisons. It's a bit dated now but the info is still interesting.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t54232.html

Although the Techron stuff scores a bit lower in efficiency that's what I use because (1) I don't drive very often so the stuff tends to sit in my tank and I want a low-corrosive effect, and (2) most of the serious mechanics recommend it over other treatments.

Maybe ecomike will chime in.

impetus-93xj said:
thats good cuz i have realy bad fuel milage....is this normal with these xjs
Another draw back of your short distance driving. As far as injector cleaners go, I've never tried lucas, but Seafoam and if you're on a bit more of a budget, Chevron Techron both do good. Just added some seafoam to my tank on this last fill up. Search around on here for that stuff, you can add it to your intake and it's been known to make a world of difference on older XJ's, have yet to run it through the intake on mine.

One more thing, dont run the cheapest gas you can find at the time from one of the no name stations. I find that I get my best mpg's off of BP regular, and halfway decent results of the Murphy USA gas down at the local wally world. Others like Costco and Shell and Exxon, it's a crap shoot.

Additionally, winter time means additives in the fuel, which means lower MPG's. Noticed my highway results (95% of my driving is 35-70 mile runs up and down the highway) have slipped from about 18 to 15-16, and worse in the city.

I noticed a huge difference from half a can of seafoam in the tank, the other half down the intake, and some carb cleaner to clean the throttle body which had some serious black crud buildup (I'm assuming from the EGR :dunno:)

I think the biggest difference came from the carb cleaner because throttle response is way snappier now

you can use acetone too....but that BG44K is strong enough you only have to use it once every 10k miles or so....

there's an active thread about "Acetone" and its pretty damn big...lots of good info/experiences in there.

On the Chevron Techron side there are TWO chevrons, one is a fuel injector cleaner the other is a fuel system cleaner. The difference is the fuel injector cleaner has a 2,000PPM of the cleaner stuff and the fuel system cleaner has like 8,000PPM of it. It also comes in two sizes, 15Oz for the 15 gallon tanks and 20oz for the bigger tanks.
3M makes a kit that attaches to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. you pull the fuel pump fuse, hook the kit up with a can of cleaner and start the engine then let it run till it runs out of gas/cleaner, the 'cans' of cleaner are around $24 or so last time I used it. I did not notice any better improvement over the 20oz can of Techron fuel system cleaner. The kit is about $60 now and not just from 3m, a couple of other companies make them, the adapters can add up for a pro setup though.
When you take it to a real injector shop they pull the injectors and put them in a fixture, clean them and check the pattern to find any that are overly worn.

JNickel101 said:
you can use acetone too....but that BG44K is strong enough you only have to use it once every 10k miles or so....

there's an active thread about "Acetone" and its pretty damn big...lots of good info/experiences in there.

I wondered about using acetone, without digging thru that thread what was the amount of acetone to use to clean on a 20 gallon tank. My suspicion is that acetone is what the cleaners use as an active ingredient but they, Chevron, Valvoline, etc won't tell you, it's 'proprietary' [my ass, they charge a fortune for that stuff, would love to know what the mix is], acetone is cheap.

If you read that huge thread, ends up being 2 or 3 main ingredients in those fuel treatments....

I first heard about using acetone from a couple of jet engine mechanics i know...they use that stuff religously in their cars as "octane booster"....

RichP said:
I wondered about using acetone, without digging thru that thread what was the amount of acetone to use to clean on a 20 gallon tank. My suspicion is that acetone is what the cleaners use as an active ingredient but they, Chevron, Valvoline, etc won't tell you, it's 'proprietary' [my ass, they charge a fortune for that stuff, would love to know what the mix is], acetone is cheap.

Off hand I want to say it was something like 4oz for every 10 gallons or something. I tried it for a month using the recommended amount from that thread and noticed no real improvement over any of the fuel system or fuel injector cleaners mentioned in this thread.

Back