• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0700 & P0705 DTC

davebz1a

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I'm a nubie to the group, and did a search on this, but didn't find a difinitive answer. So I'll try again.
The check engine light on my 97 XJ came on today. I checked the codes,
and they were P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction.
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Malfunction (PRNDL) Input.
Is this caused by the Notorious NSS? I disassembled it and cleaned, about 3 years ago when my back up lights stopped working. Any thoughts?
Dave

Look at the NSS again. Start by giving it a good cleaning again and go from there. It might be time to actually replace it. $10 says your reverse lights arent working again, or are only working part of the time.

Seen this twice now on two different XJ's. On one my buddy had to actually replace the NSS after taking it apart and cleaning it had no effect (that and we couldnt get the stupid thing calibrated again), and the other, well I dont know if he's taken care of it or not yet.

Thanks, for all the replies. I'll pop it out this weekend. As I remember the copper contacts were questionable 3 years ago. Any thoughts about the new NSS that's sold on Ebay? I know the 97 has some leftover parts from the earlier models. I found this out when I went to change the fuel pump. I had to fit the connector from the old pump. I have to see if the connector on the 97 NSS is the same as my 01.

The NSS is fairly easy to cleanup. The hardest part is removing it intact. For the copper contacts, lay a piece of 400 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the pieces back and forth to remove any grooves and clean them up. You can use sand paper on the pieces molded it as well. Put some silicon grease or ox-guard in there to minimize future corrosion.

Just to let you know that I cleaned up the NSS with 600 wet/dry, and re lubed it with grease made for electrical contacts. I erased the codes, and everything worked. So I can say that a bad NSS will cause DTC P0700, and P0705. Happy new year.

I cleanded mine and with about ~2 hours of drive time(I had to replace the motor after I cleaned the NSS), Now I'm just getting the P0705 code.

So it seems that the idea is to clean it again if you have the P0705 code?

thanks

R6TeXJ said:
I cleanded mine and with about ~2 hours of drive time(I had to replace the motor after I cleaned the NSS), Now I'm just getting the P0705 code.

So it seems that the idea is to clean it again if you have the P0705 code?

thanks

You may need to adjust it. It could also be an old stored code if you didn't clear them.

lawsoncl said:
You may need to adjust it. It could also be an old stored code if you didn't clear them.

X2. Erase the code with a scanner and see if it comes back. If it does, try adjusting it again. Do your reverse lights work? You'd think if it needed adjusting the lights wouldn't come on when in reverse.

There is a bolt that holds the NSS in position. Here's how I do it. Put the tranny in reverse with the engine off and parking brake on. Loosen that bolt and rotate it front to back and get it centered in the range where the backup lights come on.

hey Thanks I'll try that. So If I put it in reverse and the reverse lights don't come on then it is probably out of adjustment?

Back