• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

over head console???

ranger125

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 cherokee country edition and was wanting to put an over head console with compass and temp , did the xj s ever come with it ?? if not can u pint me in the right direstion of where to get one used??

okay searched and all i am lookin for really is the models the console came in ?? i have a 96 country, 86 laredo,and a 98 sport and no console for me lol are they rare??

They aren't all that rare, although maybe not part of any standard package that I'm aware of?

I see 1 or 2 every time I go to the junkyard. I've got one sitting in my garage waiting for motivation to install it.

i am in canada so i rarely see anything like that out in the sticks where i live lol maybee in the city but not here . good to know they are out there tho . what years are compatible with my 96 ??? i would like to keep the temp and compass

ranger125 said:
i am in canada so i rarely see anything like that out in the sticks where i live lol maybee in the city but not here . good to know they are out there tho . what years are compatible with my 96 ??? i would like to keep the temp and compass

I don't actually know. The few 96's I have played with seemed to be a mix of 95 and 97 parts, although more 95ish. I'd guess anything 91-96. When you pull one, make sure to get the sensors and wiring harness with it.

I dunno, i was too lazy to pull one and had a friend grab it for me as a surprise. ;)

The wire isnt very long, the sensor cant be that far away from the console.

I believe the temperature sensor is located (or should be) behind the front grille, at the bottom. It should plug into a harness near the battery. The compass has its own built in.

The console itself should plug into another harness behind the A pillar, on the driver's side I believe. Be sure you have the wiring loom to run from the console to the harness.

The loom is the small harness that connects the console to the harness behind the A pillar. Without it, your console will be rendered useless.

As far as what models, I've seen the consoles in the higher end models. I think for the most part it was an option. Best thing is to check your local boneyard. Even if you find one from a different model, it should still work provided you have the wiring and temp sensor, and get the console from an XJ of similar vintage (91-96). I would definitely check to make sure that the factory wiring is in your XJ first. As I understand it, it should be even if yours doesn't/didn't have the overhead console.

Oh yeah, be sure you also get the mounting brackets. It would also be a good idea to take measurements of where the brackets are mounted.

Last edited:
My '95 Sport came with one. The '88 limited thats a parts rig has one.

They were used for many years. Just look in every '96 and older XJ you see and you should find one.

My 96' country has one. Its sittin as a parts vehicle out in the yard, haha

Back